Toronto 880 Eastern | 48.96m | 12s | TAS | SvN

UrbanAffair

Member Bio
Reaction score
80 Knox and 880 Eastern have been sold to TAS Design Build, for a combined $18,100,000 on Feb 7, 2020.

Address:80 Knox Avenue
Location:Located south of Queen Street East, west of Coxwell Avenue
Event Date:2020-02-07
Land Use:High Density
Price:$10,900,000
Land Area:0.4 acres

1584739574240.png

From here:

880 Eastern Avenue

We are currently delivering our most comprehensive community consultation process to date to help inform this project’s vision and design. Its location presents exciting opportunities: ample frontage on two streets and one laneway; highly engaged local neighbours with strong pride of place; access to the Leslieville bustle and substantial local parklands; a unique historic context characterized by industrial uses. We’ve already started exploring a few big ideas based on initial research, including: enhanced pedestrian and cycling infrastructure; lively street-level commercial and community activity; purpose-built rental homes; and a unique building amenity program that prioritize social gathering and wellness.

Current Status: Rezoning
Estimated Completion: 2024
Design Architect: SvN
Landscape Architect: gh3*
Community Consultation: PROCESS
Key Stats: TBD during design phase

This is my new hood and I’m looking forward to the positive improvements coming here. The industrial base is waning as the neighbourhood become more residential and this area needs a wee bit of love. Having said that it’s a great spot so close to Queen E. and the Beach, the Spit, transit and highway access, and proximity to downtown, plus lovely parks as well. The only thing I hope moves on and soon is the junkyard. It must be worth millions.... please sell and move on. Thank you.

What’s New and Next Steps

In January 2021 we closed out the first phase of our community consultation process – which featured research and interviews with over 40 local stakeholders regarding their needs and interests. A few key topics emerged during those conversations: cycling infrastructure, micro-retail, green space, affordable food and pet-friendly. The diagram below (click for a larger version) visually summarizes what we learned through the interviews, with one “bar” representing one comment from a local community member.

We are currently considering how we might integrate community consultation process learnings into the project’s design. In spring 2021 we will be submitting a development proposal to the City of Toronto and updating this website at the same time to share those details.

If you have any questions or ideas to share, be encouraged to contact us anytime at info@880eastern.com.

Wonder how high they intend to go. Excited about it but wary at the same time. I'm OK with it if it's a decent mid-rise, like 5-8 stories.

I have a feeling they'll go for at least 8 storeys here, mate. But with this being a TAS and SvN collaboration along with the inquiry for local input, this should be interesting from the design and vernacular standpoint.

Agreed.... if it were ten or twelve stories it would be fairly imposing, but not ridiculous, for the immediate area. Considering what's going to be built at Easter/Coxwell, it will be in good company, height-wise. More importantly, it will help immensely to modernize that somewhat grim stretch of Eastern and serve to attract more shops and services to Eastern - a fairly important and historic corridor for Leslieville and the east end in general.

I totally agree. Considering this location with access to all the it has to offer with Parks, Leslie Street spit, Public Transit, Queen St. the lake , downtown proximity etc. the grimy industrial aspect of this stretch has got to transform into something more pleasant. Plus the Port Lands just down the street!

I have no doubt that the Loblaws and Fresh Co along with the whole stretch of Eastern west to Leslie street are being looked at by developers. At least I hope.

I like this concept very much. I do hope that the current trend will continue westward towards Leslie. This stretch of eastern is such a good location for residential or mixed use rather than junk yards, car washes, and an abandoned service station.

Very nice. Excited to see what the future has in store for this area- it seems that the City and local NIMBYs are a little more lax towards density on Eastern than they are on Queen. Eventually it will fill out into a walkable midrise neighbourhood, and I imagine the height/density will spill over on to Queen East (finally) once there are more precedents.

Back