Toronto 88 Queen | 167.35m | 52s | St Thomas Dev | Hariri Pontarini

From my understanding, that lot is part of the Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre, which complicates the development options for it.

To me, this site is a very unusual one for the reason above.

Rather than going condo; I'd like to see a very vertical long-term care home on the lower levels (retail at ground); make it C-shaped, with a courtyard in the interior, integrate Toronto Grace (palliative care); but make space for a single, slender, hotel, because there could be cost-sharing advantages for kitchen facilities which form a market-pay off for the long-term care.

7 storeys at the back, 14 along Church, climbing to 21 at Bloor, but 28 for a tower.

The City desperately needs more long-term care beds, what a great spot for 350 of them.

I would've preferred the park/public space closer to the street (instead of in between the buildings) to make them more accessible to the public. It also seems like it could be dark with shadow as well.

Today:

A8F68A77-59D7-412B-91B7-463A67DD9F72.jpeg

I would've preferred the park/public space closer to the street (instead of in between the buildings) to make them more accessible to the public. It also seems like it could be dark with shadow as well.
A park/public space in between the buildings means more eyes on said park/public space, which is fairly crucial in this neighbourhood. I know of what I speak. I live a few streets to the south.

To me, this site is a very unusual one for the reason above.

Rather than going condo; I'd like to see a very vertical long-term care home on the lower levels (retail at ground); make it C-shaped, with a courtyard in the interior, integrate Toronto Grace (palliative care); but make space for a single, slender, hotel, because there could be cost-sharing advantages for kitchen facilities which form a market-pay off for the long-term care.

7 storeys at the back, 14 along Church, climbing to 21 at Bloor, but 28 for a tower.

The City desperately needs more long-term care beds, what a great spot for 350 of them.

A hotel and long term care facility is an odd relationship. I guess it could work. 28 floors is a good height. My guess it won't be under 175 metres should it happen anytime soon.

A park/public space in between the buildings means more eyes on said park/public space, which is fairly crucial in this neighbourhood. I know of what I speak. I live a few streets to the south.

Do you mean something in the vein of drugs/prostitution/etc.? I live in the neighbourhood as well and know what you speak of if so. But I think good layout and good lighting would be more helpful than tucking it in between buildings. In terms of public space, it doesn't seem that public is all. But the actual construction might turn out better than what I'm imagining it to be.

One can assume that at some point decades ago, whoever owned the land had to apply for a demolition permit from the city to raze the buildings that used to occupy this massive lot. I'd love to know the details of what exactly transpired. I have a feeling Charioteer might have some intel...

Cookes Church. I remember it. Came down around 1983 IIRC. I think the rest of the block was already a parking lot by then.

Cooke1956.jpg

Cookes Church. I remember it. Came down around 1983 IIRC. I think the rest of the block was already a parking lot by then.

View attachment 224519

Handsome church - romanesque revival style? A shame it was demolished. I'm guessing the rest of the giant block likely consisted of many victorian houses.

View attachment 224519

Wow we lost another beautiful architecture gem

Back