Toronto 88 North (88 Queen East) | 90.52m | 27s | St Thomas Dev | Arcadis

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hmm... there is a poster over at SSC saying this is the design for "88 Queens"... design by Gensler architects of San Francisco ... not sure if this is accurate or not...

TMRW.Gensler.88Queens.IwantIcecream.jpg

TMRW.Gensler.88Queens.GorillasinToronto.jpg

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1868678

Last edited:
That is a large snow ape. Hmm. It's ok. But if anything is happening here that HPA design was a lot nicer. The parkland is nice though

Looks to be in conjunction with a Swedish firm - Tomorrow AB

http://tmrw.se/portfolio/88-queens-gensler/

88 Queens is a completely new block being designed by Gensler for a Chinese developer in the center of Toronto, Canada. The project aims at transforming a poor backside used as a parking lot to an urban residential area connected to the heart of the city.
The architects at the Gensler office in New York used us in their design process to come up with this modern residential proposal and enable a modern living for the future citizens of Toronto.
We focused on strong compositions in the images and as Toronto has very distinct seasons, as well as we do in Scandinavia, we wanted to show the building and its surrounding area in the same distinct way.

Yes please! Unobtrusive balconies, curtain wall, a large park.... This is great! Almost too good to be true.

Does that mean just one building on Shuter?
I don't think that's a good idea, especially considering there is nothing on the lot but a large ... park. This area doesn't really parkland, and judging by how Moss Park and the Cathedral green space is used, I highly doubt this parkland will be so happily used by kids and families. as shown in the photo, especially considering there doesn't seem to be anything except some trees. Not even a fountain or anything remotely interesting.

I think a lot of midrise retail/residential should be put on all sides here. Maybe an Italian style piazza, but of course I am dreaming.

Gonna have to agree that a park that size at that location maybe isn't ideal. It's gonna get sketchy fast unless they have a really good plan to prevent that

Developers' renderings are shameless with the nonsense they display. Is it possible that the "parkland" in this rendering, full of happy families playing in the snow, is simply land for future development phases that might still be vacant when this tower is occupied?

Does that mean just one building on Shuter?
I don't think that's a good idea, especially considering there is nothing on the lot but a large ... park. This area doesn't really parkland, and judging by how Moss Park and the Cathedral green space is used, I highly doubt this parkland will be so happily used by kids and families. as shown in the photo, especially considering there doesn't seem to be anything except some trees. Not even a fountain or anything remotely interesting.

I think a lot of midrise retail/residential should be put on all sides here. Maybe an Italian style piazza, but of course I am dreaming.

Do you ever go by Moss Park? I used to live on Shutter and Sherbourne, and even at 10/11 Ive seen 20 or so youth play cricket. Throughout the day people are always playing baseball/basketball/frisbee and whatever else. It gets used a lot, especially the tennis courts.

Judging from the Queen East and George St upgrades they'll be getting in the next few years plus a Moss Park upgrade, that whole area will be more widely used during all parts of the day.

Now as far as a park here goes, I like it. I doubt that the picture above will be the final design if it were to be done, they're just painting you a picture. I find that the core could use some more great public spaces and gathering points especially with our population increasing the way it is, I bet it would be very much appreciated and frequently used. this would also be a great place for more food trucks and smaller festivals.

I also like on the waterfront, how every 200 metres there is a big or small green space/park and then more development all around, just to compare with another hood.

Do you ever go by Moss Park? I used to live on Shutter and Sherbourne, and even at 10/11 Ive seen 20 or so youth play cricket. Throughout the day people are always playing baseball/basketball/frisbee and whatever else. It gets used a lot, especially the tennis courts.

Judging from the Queen East and George St upgrades they'll be getting in the next few years plus a Moss Park upgrade, that whole area will be more widely used during all parts of the day.

Now as far as a park here goes, I like it. I doubt that the picture above will be the final design if it were to be done, they're just painting you a picture. I find that the core could use some more great public spaces and gathering points especially with our population increasing the way it is, I bet it would be very much appreciated and frequently used. this would also be a great place for more food trucks and smaller festivals.

I also like on the waterfront, how every 200 metres there is a big or small green space/park and then more development all around, just to compare with another hood.

I actually play tennis at Moss Park many times. While like you said it is well used, the park itself has many unattractive aspects. It is not well maintained and is often used as a toilet (saw with my eyes many times). Plenty of garbage all the time. I don't think a park should normally function like that. Simple "well used" shouldn't be our goal.

I totally agree a spacious public space/gathering points is a superb idea, hence mentioning the "piazza" - but a public space should be interesting and attractive. Sorry but I won't be satisfied with just another green space with some trees. We are in a large city, not Markham. Downtown Toronto deserves far more than that, something with an urban ambiance. Check out the sophisticated squares in Europe - that's what we should aim for, not just another dog park, or a concrete square like YDS. Food trucks are not bad, but I prefer something more permanent, with seating for people to hang out, to sip a cup of coffee/bubble tea plus some shopping, chatting while appreciating art sculptures or the skyline. A green park will be mostly deserted in the colder months. Even dog walkers won't stay for more than 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but that vision glass looks far over 40% of the exterior. Weren't there supposed to be big changes about that?

I live in the neighbourhood; I'd love to see a green space park included in the development of this site. It's worth noting that the city has a lot of money set aside for park allocation, but left unspent.

As for the "sketchy" element, there are a lot of new condos coming on the market; there will be a need for some open space, even a dog park. (The closest is at the northeast corner of Allan Gardens). Moss Park is mostly programmed for sports fields, Arena Gardens Park (where the Mutual Street Arena was located) isn't much more than a playground, and the Metropolitan United Church grounds aren't owned by the city.

Back