St. Catharines 88 James Street | 99.14m | 30s | Elite Developments | srm Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New 30-storey condo which would become the tallest building in St. Catharines if completed.

Renderings and additional images from Niagara Dev:

88james.jpg
88james2.jpg
88james3.jpg
88james4.jpg
88james5.jpg

New 30-storey condo which would become the tallest building in St. Catharines if completed.

Renderings and additional images from Niagara Dev:

View attachment 362262View attachment 362263View attachment 362264View attachment 362265View attachment 362266

The existing building has character.........there are so many better sites..........

On top of which the podium in that proposal can charitably be described as gross. Wow that's bad.

The tower is meh........not my taste, but not horrific...........but really...........what a shame to lose the existing building for that pile of...........

While I would have wished the project to take the existing corner lot of James & King (where the Tim Hortons is), I'm just happy about the added density here and at 57 Carlisle, just around the corner.

Though I'm not gonna hold my breath on this tower.

Wow! This is something new in my neck of the woods! This should surpass all other towers in the downtown core.

I agree with the general sentiment that this is mediocre at best, but maybe it will spark more interest in this type of project in St. Catharines, with future builds improving on the concept.

I agree with the general sentiment that this is mediocre at best, but maybe it will spark more interest in this type of project in St. Catharines, with future builds improving on the concept.
And the beauty of having more taller towers in the city's core. Will look real impressive from the St Catherines Skyway bridge going west on the QEW .

This one recently got CIP tax incentives.

The demolition permit has been issued since January 2022 and has been extended to October of this year.

Just based off the cornice you know there's a beautiful facade hiding somewhere under that EIFS, and when you look at the size of the existing building relative to the site, I don't understand why it can't be preserved. Push the volume of the tower back slightly, keep the original fabric building that is miles better (even with EIFS to be honest) than that hulking, barren podium.

Back