Toronto 85 Hanna Avenue | 43.28m | 10s | First Capital | Zeidler

That's not really a great comparison, IMO. While WDL may be superior architecturally, Liberty is certainly more vibrant and for all the shitty single buildings, I do prefer the efforts of a number of different developers to the utter snooze-worthy-sterility of the WDL urban realm.

That's not really a great comparison, IMO. While WDL may be superior architecturally, Liberty is certainly more vibrant and for all the shitty single buildings, I do prefer the efforts of a number of different developers to the utter snooze-worthy-sterility of the WDL urban realm.
The densities in LV are worlds ahead of WDL, so it makes sense that it's more vibrant. WDL is pretty low density actually, especially right now without it being built out. Even its planned densities are probably below that of LV.

WDL also doesn't have the same character of LV as it doesn't have the mixed use element. What makes LV so vibrant and relatively interesting is that it has a high population throughout the day owed to the huge amount of employment. WDL doesn't have much of any employment uses comparatively - meaning that it will likely stay as more of a residential character neighbourhood and simply get a bit busier as time goes on.

And yea, WDL is a little sterile. I think that'll evolve over time as more people move in and more buildings are completed though.

Agreed... once the Lever-Ponds office complex comes on stream there will be a lot more employment in the immediate area. Years away yet, but...

I find the retail mix of restaurants and bars in LV to be fairly attractive. The level of vibrancy has also been steadily rising in recent years. The combination of high residential density and employment spaces is a major factor for sure. Along with it being the post-game area for TFC, Argos, Wolfpack fans. I actually hang out in the area quite often nowadays, sometimes more so than downtown for certain occasions. Solid options for brunch like Mildred's Temple Kitchen or places for drinks like Local, Craft, Three Brewers, Big Rock, Brazen Head for St. Paddy's, etc.

Last edited:
Now if the public realm could just get some upgrades to match.

IIRC, the LV BIA actually commissioned a rather nice looking beautification/active transportation-heavy masterplan of sorts, but I'm not sure what happened to it. I've gotta think, though, that there's a fair chunk in the s37 coffers that could be dedicated to such a plan (which the area sorely needs, as noted).

Rumour has a couple future mixed use towers replacing that 1 storey plaza and the Metro lands

Your rumour mill wasn't wrong..............

Though this proposal doesn't seem to include the Metro. ( I rather hope it does)

Back