Toronto 839 Yonge | 160.2m | 49s | CT REIT | Adamson

Aw, this is like the only place downtown to buy auto stuff. Can't even get oil at the Bay/Dundas location.

It is my understanding that the intent is to retain a CT store at this site; but I would imagine the existing one would have to close during redevelopment.

At any rate, you have awhile, there is no application filed with the City yet, which put any closure at least 2 years away; if the site is flipped out of CT's hands, as seems likely, it could be a fair bit longer.

It is my understanding that the intent is to retain a CT store at this site; but I would imagine the existing one would have to close during redevelopment.

At any rate, you have awhile, there is no application filed with the City yet, which put any closure at least 2 years away; if the site is flipped out of CT's hands, as seems likely, it could be a fair bit longer.

Hopefully by then no more need for motor oil. Certainly is a neat site with a lot of frontage of open-air tracks. TTC could get in on the deal with half an acre decked over.

Hopefully by then no more need for motor oil. Certainly is a neat site with a lot of frontage of open-air tracks. TTC could get in on the deal with half an acre decked over.

You'll have to ask @ProjectEnd about that; but I don't believe that was being contemplated.

New wrinkle in the idea of decking or otherwise bridging over the TTC open cut south of Rosedale Stn, in whole or in part.

Buried in the TTC's capital plans is adding a siding (third track) in this section. Not clear what length/distance they are proposing to go, but it appears on cursory examination that there is room
on the west side of the ROW for this track. Still, there may be some peripheral property impacts.

Look under 'Guideway Enhancement" below:

1642000938686.png

Last edited:
And this begins to move into the light of day: (From the Lobbyist Registry)

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32896​

Business/Organization name
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

839 Yonge Street - Discuss Planning Applications to be filed on Canadian Tire owned property.

Hmmmm... I don't mind this. I like the separation between the towers, I like the stepping elevations along the one side of the podium. It's a little strange where it and the older building stock intersects, but at least those revealing angles are interesting. Overall, it strikes me a typical Toronto redevelopment typology... the modern stuff strangely embracing/strangling/belittling the older built form.

If that sounds a bit ambivalent, it's meant to!

To quote the great @ProjectEnd ; though not on this subject, to be clear............

"Garbage"

How did we spend the last year getting to this place.

FWIW, for those involved (some are members here), tell the client..........this will not go well.

There must be a bridge over the subway tracks, that's number one, it's a long-standing priority of the City to provide access to the Rosedale Valley Road Parks from Yonge.......if that's not there, this does not fly.

Second, lose the outdoor amenity space in the form of a 'second level' Yonge Street forecourt, it serves to overwhelm the heritage to no value whatever.

Instead, produce that space on the new bridge to the Rosedale Valley Road parks.

Third, do not create that ugly white box w/the CT logo on it...........it's incongruous to the heritage. Breathe life into the idea that this is where it started (CT); even though that isn't accurate, but the earlier stores are lost to history.

This one, not quite yet. Put the $$$ in.........this is a brand-builder; make it look like that inside and out.

Fourth, the podium level, where it exists above the heritage needs to show restraint, be set back and deferential. This is gaudy and junk.

Last edited:

Back