Toronto The RIV | 113m | 34s | Broccolini | Arcadis

Seriously? In a city with people from around the world with names that come from 200 languages, we're poking fun of a name? An Italian last name? Sorry, but you two have to wear that.

Excuse me? Where are we poking fun at the name ? I relate to that name having once had a name as the basis of a thousand mocking nicknames. I'm 40 years old. I have children but, I can't say with confidence that they are any less unknowingly cruel than they were in my generation. I'm far more engaged than my parents with our technology but, that gives a false sense of security as it provides an incomplete picture of what goes on in school.

Toronto wasn't always as ethnically diverse as it is now. Our communities are still far less ethnically diverse than the statistics that make up the overall metro. I'm also pretty confident Broccolini is from Montreal. In any case, I find your post extremely dismissive that the name couldn't have been the brunt of jokes outside of the Italian community. Your post resonates like the people proclaiming they don't see colour in ethnicities. That's feigning ignorance instead of acceptance.

And how exactly is calling a name unfortunate poking fun at it? Have sensitivities and political correctness expanded to such lengths to cherrypick a a word with slight negative undertones and ignore everything else written in the post? At what point will we all have to shut up because anything will be interpreted as an insult.

I prefer Rapini. Anyway I think this area is on such a role that's it's only a matter of time that before high rises will be licking at the shores of the Don River from the lake to Gerrard St.

Feb 1, 2020

20200201_093512.jpg
20200201_093554.jpg
20200201_093631.jpg

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

Development Applications
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated project description:

Site Plan Approval for a 34-storey mixed-use building with a proposed non-residential gross floor area of 225 square metres and 23,237 square metres of residential gross floor area. A total of 385 residential dwelling units are proposed.

Broccolini + IBI Group: 34 storeys (117.50 metres including MPH)

1591147073338.png

East/west elevation(s):

1591147296186.png

South/north elevation(s):

1591147378538.png

South podium elevation:

1591147782945.png

West podium elevation:

1591147823419.png

Notable revisions include:
  • The height of the building has been reduced from 38 storeys (120.4 metres, or 132.9 metres including the mechanical penthouse) to 34 storeys (106.0 metres, or 112.0 metres including the mechanical penthouse)
  • The height of the podium has been reduced from 7 storeys (25.4 metres) to 5 storeys (17.6 metres)
  • The uses in the podium have been revised, from townhouse units on the ground floor along River Street to at-grade retail
  • A non-residential gross floor area of 225 square metres is now proposed, whereas there were no non-residential uses previously proposed
  • The proposed residential gross floor area has been reduced from 29,722 to 23,237 square metres
  • A 149.8 square metre public park space and an 83.9 square metre POPS are now proposed at the southern end of the site, whereas the previous proposal did not propose any public parkland or accessible open space
  • The total amount of amenity space has been increased from 1,421 square metres to 1,540 square metres
  • The total number of units has been reduced from 410 dwelling units to 385 dwelling units, and the unit mix has also been revised to include a greater proportion of family-sized units (over 60 percent, from the previous 35 percent)
Development Applications

Last edited:
Too fussy (especially the first few floors- what's the matter with the dark frame slanting inwards and the weird little sloped overhang?), and I don't have particular faith that the different pieces are going to fit together.

As for materiality, I'll reserve my judgement since IBI seems to know their way around window wall.

Last edited:
It is a little on the tacky side, but if they bring a decent quality window wall then this should still end up being a pretty solid finished product.

So funny fact. The old Project Manager at Streecar Developments is now the Director of Residential for Broccolini in Toronto. Take a look at Riverside Square and take a look at the re-design of this. This has multiple characteristics of RSQ in the design, with the fact the roof design and slope, the slopped facade glass on the podium, etc etc etc.

This is not a good change, although the previous also wasn't the most pleasing, at least it was a re-iteration of a towers just down the street.

Back