Toronto 83 Bloor West | 269.05m | 82s | Parallax | Arcadis

It's on the Heritage Register - https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2003/agendas/council/cc030414/to4rpt/cl012.pdf

Reasons for Listing: The property at 95A Bloor Street West is recommended for inclusion on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties for its cultural heritage value or interest. The Georg Jensen Store is architecturally significant as the only known commission in Toronto by the Montreal architectural firm of Rother, Bland, Trudeau. The partnership of Vincent Rother, John Bland and Charles Elliott Trudeau (brother of former Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau) contributed to the development of the Modern Movement of architecture in Canada with projects that included the award-winning former Ottawa City Hall (1955). In 1956, the firm remodelled an existing commercial building on the southeast corner of Bloor Street West and St. Thomas Street for Georg Jensen’s Silversmiths Limited. The store showcased the products of the internationally recognized design firm founded by the Danish goldsmith and sculptor in Copenhagen in 1904. The building was cited in contemporary periodicals as contributing to the revitalization of the Yorkville commercial neighbourhood. The Georg Jensen Store displays Modern design features. The heritage attributes of the building are found on the two street facades (north and west). The smooth cladding and minimalist door and window openings (now partly altered), particularly the oversized windows on the north wall and the two-storey showcase windows on the west elevation, are significant design features.

Interesting in that it has a connection to the Trudeau family.. but it's a rather drab structure all in all that I don't think is particularly worthy of preservation. HPS like usual should be focusing efforts of preservation on much more significant structures in this city than a renovated 2-storey storefront with an uninspired plain limestone facade.

Interesting in that it has a connection to the Trudeau family.. but it's a rather drab structure all in all that I don't think is particularly worthy of preservation. HPS like usual should be focusing efforts of preservation on much more significant structures in this city than a renovated 2-storey storefront with an uninspired plain limestone facade.

Innsertnamehere and I don't find common cause all that often; but here we do.

I can't say I find the building at all aesthetically redeeming; and its retention also feels like it unduly compromises the layout of the ground floor of the new build, including the forcing of the lobby over to Bloor.

Should say it was added to the register in 2003

271M to the roof, pretty close. (264M to the Mechanical by the looks of it, even closer)
Way to go Koops! Just like The Price Is Right he came in the closest with out going over lol! I'm pretty sure he's working on illustrating this tower to show it off on his flyby! As well as the new beautiful tower nearby Yonge st. 15 Charles East that just came in today as you know. Thanks for the info Northern Light!

Great looking proposal!
Here's some additional context:

51803377147_c48268e99b_k.jpg

11.06.2021 2.jpg

It doesn’t look like there is a ramp going down a level, but it seems retail space at ground level and a much better lobby configuration could be opened up with loading moved down one level (and by eliminating some parking spaces).

This is amazing. I really love this proposal. And although I try and keep up with U/C and Proposed projects here, I had no idea there were this many U/C and Proposed in the Bloor/Yorkville area. Wow! 😃
And there's another 61 storeys proposal at 30 Scollard that Northern Light or some other will announce sometime in the near future in the Yorkville area too!

And there's another 61 storeys proposal at 30 Scollard that Northern Light or some other will announce sometime in the near future in the Yorkville area too!
Thanks. I appreciate the tip. I'll keep an eye out for a posting on that tower. There have been several 150+ skyscraper proposals just in the last few weeks alone. It's amazing. There are now 116 Built and U/C 150 metre + plus towers, and also 147 now proposed. That comes to 263 total. I know things can change and they're not all guaranteed and will take years to build if they're approved. But even if some don't get built there are always new proposals being added. It's obvious that as long as things generally keep going the way they are that eventually, our skyline is going to become mega huge. We're now just 20 Built and U/C 150 metre + towers behind Chicago who have 136 150 metre + Built and U/C. 😃

A short video of this project:

And a view from Bloor and St. George:

View attachment 373472
Thanks so much for these. They're great. You made the video, right? This is a huge tower and will be 1 of the tallest in the city if it gets approved and built at this height. The 1 and 1200 Bay are massive so it's a bit shorter but it's still a huge tower. 😃

Thanks. I appreciate the tip. I'll keep an eye out for a posting on that tower. There have been several 150+ skyscraper proposals just in the last few weeks alone. It's amazing. There are now 116 Built and U/C 150 metre + plus towers, and also 147 now proposed. That comes to 263 total. I know things can change and they're not all guaranteed and will take years to build if they're approved. But even if some don't get built there are always new proposals being added. It's obvious that as long as things generally keep going the way they are that eventually, our skyline is going to become mega huge. We're now just 20 Built and U/C 150 metre + towers behind Chicago who have 136 150 metre + Built and U/C. 😃
You should Start a thread for a running list of 150m+ buildings! I’m sure the UT community could keep better track than SSP, Wikipedia or Emporis which all seem to be inconsistent

Back