Toronto 83 Bloor West | 269.05m | 82s | Parallax | Arcadis

Considering the location and height you'd expect higher quality architecture. this looks like a church st condo.

Having an active permit (of any type), regardless of whether you'll act on it, opens many doors with the City...

Maybe permits should be a bit more progressive then. Or priced according to means and scale. I mean if dev charges are being refunded (aka extra profits for developers and truly nothing else), perhaps the city should consider ensuring infrastructure at least around each development, is paid by those who profit most of all during these past 20 or so years.

It would be really refreshing to see some of these developers actually care a bit about the public realm near their developments. I know there isn't much incentive, which is why it is too bad development charges were attacked by Ford. Perhaps through permits at least you could recoup a bit of this. I'm really just spitballing here. The fact is our public realm is kind of embarrassing most of the time. I can tell you we certainly no longer deserve the moniker New York built by the Swiss.

I know there is a community improvement tax and an art tax and a sidewalk rebuild tax to the chosen sidewalk design from the city's sidewalk design manual. Developers aren't paying for it. The financiers aren't paying it. The investors buying the units are.

It's everything between new developments that falling apart. There's also a lack of space for soft landscaping with the narrowness of Toronto's boulevard and new development built to extreme densities.

Midtown Manhattan designed by a Banana Republic.

Back