Toronto 815 Eglinton Avenue East | 114.45m | 34s | RioCan | Diamond Schmitt

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=4013928&isCofASearch=false

815 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 26 - North York District

Redevelopment of the existing site, introduction of approx. 116,106.9 sqm of residential use containing approximately 1,435 residential units in the form of mid-rise buildings (6 to 12 storeys) and 3 residential buildings (ranging btwn 26-34 storeys) along Eglinton Ave E and Laird Dr. A new public park is proposed at the northeast corner of Laird Dr and Vanderhoof Ave as well as a new community facility. (btwn 26-34 storeys)

Considering it'll be done in phases, and with a community facility in mind, I think it'll be ok. Should be a good boost for the area.

I kinda hope the park would front Eglinton and be more visible and accessible to the public.

Oh man. This is going to make heads explode here in Leaside. The Brentcliffe development is already facing huge pushback from the community, and this is closer to the residential area. I can't wait for my next Leaside Life. It's a local magazine that has turned into anti-development central.

I have to agree, though, that this development, plus Brentcliffe, plus the Walmart just to the south of here is going to be a cause for concern as far as traffic goes. I'm sure most people will commute via LRT but not everyone. Laird needs to be expanded, and/or the entire road grid east of Laird will need to be reworked with dedicated turn lanes and such and such. Aaaaand I'm trying not to think about the Costco on Overlea...

Oh man. This is going to make heads explode here in Leaside. The Brentcliffe development is already facing huge pushback from the community, and this is closer to the residential area. I can't wait for my next Leaside Life. It's a local magazine that has turned into anti-development central.

I have to agree, though, that this development, plus Brentcliffe, plus the Walmart just to the south of here is going to be a cause for concern as far as traffic goes. I'm sure most people will commute via LRT but not everyone. Laird needs to be expanded, and/or the entire road grid east of Laird will need to be reworked with dedicated turn lanes and such and such. Aaaaand I'm trying not to think about the Costco on Overlea...

Let's look at the history of Leaside NIMBY,....
Leaside NIMBY VS Walmart = Leaside NIMBY lose
Leaside NIMBY VS Costco = Leaside NIMBY lose
Leaside NIMBY VS Costco Gas Station = Leaside NIMBY lose
Leaside NIMBY VS 939 Eglinton East (Brentcliffe) = TBA
Leaside NIMBY VS 815 Eglinton East (Laird) = TBA
Well,... there's already a trend here,... and Leaside NIMBY certainly haven't won anything,...

Leaside NIMBY give other areas' NIMBY a bad name,... Leaside NIMBY folks tend to be self-rightious types believing that the rest of the world need to revolve around their ideological perspective,... yes, I've dealt with some of them personally!

Anyways, if they're smart, instead of fighting hell-no NIMBY,... they should realize there are opportunities here to work with City Planning, Councillor's office and developers to ensure that Section 37 Community Benefits, development fees, parkspace allocation, etc,... all paid for by the Developers (and eventually new buyers),.... goes towards projects they really want and that would benefit their community. IE: one would be the long discussed road connection of Bayview Avenue extension to Leslie Street at Eglinton Ave East via Crothers Woods, Redway Road, VillageStation Road, bridge over E.T. Seaton / Sunnybrook park,... that would certainly eliminate some of the drive-through traffic currently zipping through Leaside from Bayview extension to Leslie Street. And if there's parts of this project that can't be covered (like Section 37 specifies community benefits can only be spent on projects in the ward where development occurs) then just get it through Environmental Assessment and shovel ready,... then wait for economy to tank, when feds are desperate to fund any shovel ready project!

From Laird in Focus/Planning:

upload_2016-8-23_10-53-16.png

PiP: http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/City Planning/Community Planning/Files/pdf/L/Laird in Focus - PiPs Boards.pdf
Website: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=bc46ef65db1c5510VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-23_10-53-16.png
    upload_2016-8-23_10-53-16.png
    328.5 KB · Views: 2,681
See, I really dislike how the park is tucked inside and not very accessible by the public. If it fronted Eglinton, it would contribute to making Eglinton ave a vibrant pedestrian destination.

See, I really dislike how the park is tucked inside and not very accessible by the public. If it fronted Eglinton, it would contribute to making Eglinton ave a vibrant pedestrian destination.

I like the park tucked inside the development. It will be a safe place for kids who live in the towers to play and it will be a safe place to ride a bike as it's off of Eglinton. If done nicely, it could work like David Crombie Park that runs alongside the Esplanade. As it will be south of the tallest towers that would front onto Eglinton, the park will get a good amount of sunlight.

Is it park space - or is it buffer for the commercial (to the point of putting it on the other side of the road from the residential?

AoD

David Crombie Park is downtown and on the Esplanade it doesn't have to worry about attracting traffic. This is far away from downtown and located in, what is now, a car centric area.

The average condo purchaser in this city nowadays, however, isn't a car owner. With the Crosstown just a short walk from this development, vehicular traffic would not be impacted here to the degree that a similarly scaled project in Richmond Hill would impact its surrounding streets.

The square footage of the commercial areas suggests either two-storey replacements of the current tenants or smaller retailers. I'd hate to lose the PetSmart, for selfish reasons: It's basically like a zoo to my 2-year old. Also, adding three new street connections to Eglinton has a high chance of creating a real traffic mess between Laird and Brentcliffe, if done carelessly. I'm assuming the one in the middle will be a traffic light and the other two will likely be right turn only. Thoughts?

Back