Toronto 80 Bloor Street West | 263.4m | 78s | Krugarand | Arcadis

I thought that was NYCHA? Maybe unless things have changed recently (and they have for Toronto).

My mistake. You are correct. Looks like 178,000 in NYC vs 60,000 in Toronto.

Regardless, the City is a mammoth landlord and guess what? It’s a disaster.

This one looks thrilling. Bay and Bloor needs density and it’s one block from supertalls at Yonge. Most people here will often walk, so little impacts in transit. The design is exceptional!

If that is what the market demands why is that a bad thing? if the market demands a bigger size unit then that is what will get built.

No it won't, it has less to do with market demand and more to do with developers making smaller units so they can get more money.

It's all about money.

The city is growing therefore there is a strong demand for housing. Can't build houses anymore, there's no where to put them, can't buy existing houses anymore, they're too expensive. So they build vertical subdivisions called condo towers. No one is demanding tiny little condo units that are practically claustrophobic, that's simply a developer's response to opportunity.

Have you visited any of these shiny new condo units? You literally have to go outside to change your mind.

That's literally an incorrect use of the word "literally." Just sayin.'

Kind of a chicken or egg quandary, really. People are anxious to live in Toronto and those that can afford any kind of condo at all will often pinch their nostrils in resignation as they reach for their wallets. On the other hand, developers tend to want to maximize profits - privately-held companies like to do that sort of thing. But if housing demand should considerably lessen for any reason, two things would eventually happen; prices per unit would plunge, and we'd probably see at least a few new projects with an array of larger units, to attract those clients with deeper pockets.

Is this selling yet, one of best designs I’ve seen. Bay and Bloor is perfect. Maybe sleekest tall tower proposed in city, and not glass, not a box!

Sorry. Not imminent. As was just said above by ProjectEnd, this likely not a serious proposal. It's likely just a zoning exercise.

As much as I'd love this to happen, it's not likely to do so.

I’m not so sure. It’s rather specific for a zoning exercise? Renderings, designs? Maybe it would evolve but feels like they are planning something architecturally ambitious. Why assume otherwise?

It's not real. It cannot and will not be built as shown in the pretty renders. When you're designing for a zoning exercise, the constraints of reality don't apply: no need to carefully weigh the cost of materials or rationalize floor plates to control construction costs, just come up with something that looks nice and represents the FSI you're trying to negotiate for. The design is fake. It is not real. Do not get your hopes up.

It's not real. It cannot and will not be built as shown in the pretty renders. When you're designing for a zoning exercise, the constraints of reality don't apply: no need to carefully weigh the cost of materials or rationalize floor plates to control construction costs, just come up with something that looks nice and represents the FSI you're trying to negotiate for. The design is fake. It is not real. Do not get your hopes up.
I hear what you’re saying, but am not sure you’re correct. There are many exceptional buildings in the world. And they all started with a rendering.

Back