Toronto 80 Bloor Street West | 263.4m | 78s | Krugarand | Arcadis

My biggest fear with this proposal is that the City will not be very receptive to this height at this location. Surely it will cast some shadows on Jesse Ketchum. And what about the clothesline policy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original 224m proposal was deemed "too tall" because it was too close in height to the then-proposed 230m tower at 50 Bloor? Now we're going even taller than 1BE. Does The One shift the clothesline high enough?

My biggest fear with this proposal is that the City will not be very receptive to this height at this location. Surely it will cast some shadows on Jesse Ketchum. And what about the clothesline policy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original 224m proposal was deemed "too tall" because it was too close in height to the then-proposed 230m tower at 50 Bloor? Now we're going even taller than 1BE. Does The One shift the clothesline high enough?
If you bothered to open the Sun/Shadow Study, you'd see that this tower will not cast any additional shadow on Jesse Ketchum park.

LPAT recently ruled that the clothesline policy is a fabrication of City Planning in the Entertainment District, so one would think that would apply on Bloor too.

it will all only matter if Krugarand is serious about building this. ive heard they flip land? can someone weigh in on that?

Yes I'm drawing it now... I started last night. It's a difficult tower to draw considering all the curves and angles involved. As far as the proposal is concerned, I love it, especially the height, and I hope it doesn't get chopped down too much.

Love your work Koop's can't wait to see this skyscraper rendering on Toronto's skyscraperpage! What scares me the way the city council works . This sexy looking building will probably end up as a box in the long run. Just look at what happened to the YSL Residence building !

LPAT recently ruled that the clothesline policy is a fabrication of City Planning in the Entertainment District, so one would think that would apply on Bloor too.
They ruled it out in the Entertainment District because the developer was able to demonstrate that nearby approved towers (particularly the Well) had already breached the clothesline, and it therefore wasn't in effect. Nothing around Yonge & Bloor has breached The One's clothesline yet, so could the same argument necessarily be made here?

They ruled it out in the Entertainment District because the developer was able to demonstrate that nearby approved towers (particularly the Well) had already breached the clothesline, and it therefore wasn't in effect. Nothing around Yonge & Bloor has breached The One's clothesline yet, so could the same argument necessarily be made here?
That is... partially true? The supposed clothesline policy in the Entertainment District originated in a council directive to the city's planning department, but there were no changes made to the official plan, secondary plan, or zoning by-law to properly enshrine that directive in policy. As a result, there was never any opportunity for public consultation and none of the mandated processes for enacting new planning policy were followed. The LPAT decision did also consider the fact that the city had approved developments that breached the clothesline, but that was one among several reasons that they ruled the clothesline unenforceable.

In the case of Bloor, I'm not sure whether there's any in-force planning policy that mentions a clothesline. If not, my guess is that the LPAT would come to a similar conclusion here.

Back