Toronto 80 Bloor Street West | 263.4m | 78s | Krugarand | Arcadis

For heaven's sake. If we can't build a 280m building here where can we build one? Their head's would explode if the proposal was 466m instead of 266m like we're seeing in New York, Moscow, KL, and a growing list of other global cities we compete with. These people are living on another planet; they need to be replaced. Patience has its limits.

And to think, I was coming on here hoping for an extra 100m.
Yeah no kidding. I was upset enough that I took a few minutes to whip up this map to show how egregious this situation is. I present you, the living heritage museum neighbourhood of The Annex and it's twin sister Yorkville.

Red = 500m radius around each subway station in the two neighbourhoods (which is being generous, as usually you should use 800 metres to represent 10 minute walk). 80 Bloor West highlighted for context.

80BloorWest.png

This is such a shame. This is a beautiful building and would be one of the nicest in the city. It absolutely should be built here and fits. maybe it's too tall for people now, but everything around there will be tall in 20 years anyway
You do realize that it will never look like it does in the images. This isn't just the same, tired, 'Toronto cheapening' refrain; it's not possible to build that tower in any North American city outside of 2014 NYC, as depicted. It's never going to happen.

It's also gross and gaudy, so I've got no issues with this...

You do realize that it will never look like it does in the images. This isn't just the same, tired, 'Toronto cheapening' refrain; it's not possible to build that tower in any North American city outside of 2014 NYC, as depicted. It's never going to happen.

It's also gross and gaudy, so I've got no issues with this...

It reminds me of 157W57 in New York. The Park Hyatt. At least from the street.

The scalloped panels and stepped facade would make this a far more complicated build. Krugarand is trying to pull the 'dazzle them so they'll ignore the obvious' canard that didn't work for Adi at 64 Prince Arthur.

Yeah no kidding. I was upset enough that I took a few minutes to whip up this map to show how egregious this situation is. I present you, the living heritage museum neighbourhood of The Annex and it's twin sister Yorkville.

Red = 500m radius around each subway station in the two neighbourhoods (which is being generous, as usually you should use 800 metres to represent 10 minute walk). 80 Bloor West highlighted for context.

View attachment 225573
BUT IT NEEDS MORE PARKING!!!! ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️

BUT IT NEEDS MORE PARKING!!!! ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️

Perhaps the parking issue is overlooked here. The reason local residents want on site parking for these mega developments is that they attract an enormous amount of vehicular traffic (whether you like it or not) and all that vehicular traffic will then spillover into the neighborhood if it isn't adequately provided for on site.

You can't fault the area residents and businesses for not wanting to further clog an already congested area with more of it.

Perhaps the parking issue is overlooked here. The reason local residents want on site parking for these mega developments is that they attract an enormous amount of vehicular traffic (whether you like it or not) and all that vehicular traffic will then spillover into the neighborhood if it isn't adequately provided for on site.

You can't fault the area residents and businesses for not wanting to further clog an already congested area with more of it.
Ugh..lol? .living at Yonge and Bloor and worrying about congestion? i was a kid 40 years ago and it was already congested...pleaseo_O

Watching this community consultation was simultaneously hilarious and profoundly depressing. Both city planning and the community have made it clear that they are strongly opposed to the development.

First of all, they're saying it does cast a non-zero shadow on the sacred lands of Jesse Ketchum, which basically means it was dead on arrival. But that's not enough, so tonight many community members came for blood, with prepared notes and rehearsed speeches disparaging the developers and the City for "destroying the community". Here's a summary of some of the major sticking points:
  • Too tall for the location, as it lies just outside of the official designated height peak at Yonge + Bloor. A few fun quotes (I wish I could say I'm only paraphrasing):
    • "It's a head and shoulders above everything else around"
    • "It belongs farther south where there are already tall buildings"
    • "It belongs somewhere else but not here. The area is changing and I don't like it."
  • Impact on traffic congestion
  • Insufficient parking spaces
  • Poor accessibility to the building by car
  • Too few family-sized units
  • Multiple accusations toward the City of putting corporate greed above the wellbeing of the community.
I felt so sorry for Mr. Giannone, who has clearly invested a lot in this project and is very proud of the result. You could tell he had been looking forward to presenting it to the community, only to have it completely torn to shreds. Some people did acknowledge that the design has architectural merit, but it was not given much consideration relative to the "egregious" violations of planning policies.

By the end of the meeting, the city planner and councillor had made it clear that the response to this proposal will almost certainly be a refusal report.

Where can I watch this meeting does someone have a link?

Can't they set aside space near the top of the tower for Jesse Ketchum to relocate? They'll never have shadowing issues again!

I have said before that the users of Jesse Ketchum must be reverse vampires, because they apparently burst into flames if they are exposed to a shadow.

I personally prefer staying in shadow during the summers, direct sunlight is often too hot for me (especially with the expected effects of global warming).

I have said before that the users of Jesse Ketchum must be reverse vampires, because they apparently burst into flames if they are exposed to a shadow.

I personally prefer staying in shadow during the summers, direct sunlight is often too hot for me (especially with the expected effects of global warming).
And why do we continue to fill our parks with trees if shadows are so toxic?

And why do we continue to fill our parks with trees if shadows are so toxic?
Because trees don't have the ability to cast shadows for several hundred metres and put entire areas in perma-shade?

Height and massing aside, you think there's no issue with putting 1430 units here? Also, why do you think Krugarand is going to build?

Back