Toronto 80 Bloor Street West | 263.4m | 78s | Krugarand | Arcadis

The proposal is still for 66 floors. The 68 includes the mechanical floors up top. The proposal has not changed from what we have in the dataBase file.

27 July 2014: I guess this project isn't happening anytime soon w/ a roots going here?
nU3SV8s.jpg

Reactions: DTC
To me the existing building looks quite handsome in that photo. I'm not too thrilled to see it go for yet another condo.

To me the existing building looks quite handsome in that photo. I'm not too thrilled to see it go for yet another condo.

In fact, the whole intersection of Bay/Bloor was a handsome collection of vintage office buildings that worked well together. While the new projects are huge in comparison, I worry that the area will lose some of the aesthetic/architectural sophistication it once had.

The proposal has no shot of being taller than 20s in the area which would negate anything from happening. It would blanket shadow all of Yorkville. Never gonna happen.

I've been re-thinking my support for this proposal. The existing building has a fair ammount of office space, despite needing a makeover.

I hope that whatever happens here maintains at least as much office and retail as is already there.

The proposal has no shot of being taller than 20s in the area which would negate anything from happening. It would blanket shadow all of Yorkville. Never gonna happen.

Do you actually not know how development works in Toronto / Ontario or are you just a glutton for punishment?

why don't you support something tall? are you scared of height?

My feelings tell me a lot of suburbanites are among us; the type with six foot tall fences and every amenity they can squeeze onto their little paradise to avoid going out as much as possible. Otherwise, I don't understand why so many are easy to compromise public space for additional height that largely can be experienced only from a distance. They certainly don't travel much.

Last edited:
I believe this project could be launching in time for TIFF15. So out of curiousity I did a bit of research:

1)Krugarand Corporation's people.
Krugarand Corporation, a Toronto office building owner/manager was updated with Alan Lau, President; Dennis Au, Director and Jane Huey, Manager Administration

2) Dennis Au-Yeung is VP & CFO at Concord Pacific.

3) Constance Lau is Sales Executive at Concord Pacific.

Coincidence or not?

My hunch: 80 Bloor West is another Concord Adex-backed development.

Here's some additional background information on the building:
Designed by Peter Carter of the Toronto firm Bregman and Hamman and completed in 1973, the building is conceptually “Miesian,” flowing from
the knowledge and inspiration that Carter gained while studying, then working with Mies van der Rohe. The underlying symmetry, the central core
and rational structural system, the subtly stepped-back columns marching up the north and south facades, the large expanses of glass, and the vo
-
cabulary of materials and detailing in the lobby (such as Travertine) owe a debt to Mies van der Rohe.

Krugarand Corp sponsored a student design competition to update the facade of the building in 2010-11:
Student Ideas Competition For
A New Face for 80 Bloor Street West
Architecture students in the undergraduate and graduate programs at Ryerson University, the University of Toronto, and the University of Waterloo,
along with students in the Building Science program at Ryerson, are invited to participate in an ideas competition for the rejuvenation of the south
facade of 80 Bloor Street West, a 19-storey office tower in Toronto’s Yorkville district. Sponsored and coordinated by Krugarand Corporation, this
two-stage design competition seeks proposals that are innovative, pragmatic, and capable of generating a progressive new identity for 80 Bloor Street
West

Perhaps that exercise inspired the current plan for the site?

Last edited:

Back