Toronto 8 Locust | 120m | 37s | Fengate Properties | WZMH

ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
8 LOCUST ST
Ward 05 - Etob. York District

Development Applications

Proposed severance of a 1,217 square metre portion of 15 Oxford Drive located on the west side of Locust Street, and the reconfiguration of the terminus of Locust Street into a new cul-de-sac with sidewalk, partially encroaching into the subject site, resulting in the dedication of approximately 13.5 square metres along the east portion of 15 Oxford Drive. The site is proposed to be redeveloped with a 35-storey (106.5 metres excluding mechanical penthouse) tower with a 3-storey underground parking garage.

1581372362812.png

1581372554341.png

Geographic context:

1581373008259.png

As someone who lived less than a block south of Eglinton on Weston Rd, the whole area as well Weston Rd needs to be redevelop as full block face, not stand in the park towers. My parents live there for another 20 years after I moved out.

Doesn't have to be tall towers to fix that area, but parking should be only 25% or less since it will be well transit service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that this building has no pretentions as to its materiality- it's a punched window tower unapologetically, while many other punched-window towers (lots of stuff by Tridel and Concord) commit the architectural deceit of pretending that that cheap spandrel is the same thing as vision glass (the modernists would be rolling in their graves!)

This is just horrible. First the scale for the area is way off, the design is as bland as can be, and all of that white pre-cast will not age well. Why is it crap like this is, I don't see much different here from the prefabricated apartment blocks around the city build in the 50's,60's and 70's. Mundane, dull, and cheap looking. If the city is trying to keep this part of Toronto ugly, well then they will nail it if they approve this. A 10 year old with Sketchup could do a better job.

Nobody should pay much attention the the architecture here. Trolleybus never seem to build anything until they at least partner with someone else who then drives the development bus. Mostly they apply for rezoning then sell up-zoned land. This is just an opening salvo too…

Love this building is has that 60s - 70s look ! Like to see more buildings like this in the future !

Back