Toronto The Ivy | 110.33m | 34s | Tricon | Graziani + Corazza

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 9.46.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 9.46.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 9.47.03 AM.png

well at least it is no longer pretending that there was any consideration given for the design. Can't believe something so uninspired is being proposed for Yonge Street in Downtown Toronto in 2019 AND where the iconic Fly nightclub was located. I know it's too soon to tell but I hope they incorporate some elements that pay homage to the area's history.

As a reminder, this was the previous design that the DRP was not happy with:

325r23qw.JPG

Developers are not required to heed the advice of the DRP, as panelists speak independently (other than when they vote at the end of the session) and they may provide ideas that conflict with other panelists'. If they are looking for rezoning, however, and that's the case here, then the City can apply a little pressure to respond to comments they agree with.

Last edited:
I guess even the accent (if you can call anything that firm handles as such) is a little too much. Clover and this. Angel and demons.

And did they go from painted roof trims to bare concrete?

AoD

This is the exact situation where the City needs to just say no because this building is ugly. There is so much development here that the City should have leverage over developers. Why shut down the only gay dance bar left in the city to building something that is already excessive in Toronto (uninspired, cheap condos)? I hope council will show some balls and attempt to control the narrative of this city. Show some vision and don't just let the free market determine how this city is going to look and feel.

This is the exact situation where the City needs to just say no because this building is ugly. There is so much development here that the City should have leverage over developers. Why shut down the only gay dance bar left in the city to building something that is already excessive in Toronto (uninspired, cheap condos)? I hope council will show some balls and attempt to control the narrative of this city. Show some vision and don't just let the free market determine how this city is going to look and feel.
Council cannot say no just over looks, they have not been given that power. They have to justify their decisions in planning law.

I'm glad that we're seeing plans for a building without waist-height mullions (other than for operable windows): that's a significant plus.

Honestly this cladding looks pretty similar to whats going up at Yonge+Rich, which isn't that terrible.

It's bland more than anything.

Maybe they should try a half glass to half solid wall ratio for the facade . That might make the the building blend in more with the Victorian building it's up against. As seen in the photos up above.

Back