Toronto 8 Elm | 218.2m | 69s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis

Seems like a real missed opportunity for the condo owners not to have some enormous advertising space on that; they could be raking in cash if they added some, lower the condo fees, worry less about the condo reserve fund. Put a mechanical floor right above the heritage buildings with giant tv advertising on the outside.

Putting aside that I think that idea sounds ghastly...........

There is no statutory permission for that; nor would they get it, nor should they.

Putting aside that I think that idea sounds ghastly...........

There is no statutory permission for that; nor would they get it, nor should they.
It's at Dundas Square on Yonge Street lol Why not add to it? There are billboards just north of this at the corner of Gerrard.
Also I believe it would be approved instantly as that area is a special advertising/signs district like Chinatown and Koreatown where it is encouraged.

It's at Dundas Square on Yonge Street lol Why not add to it?

Putting aside that I don't like Dundas Square at all, and that I find the billboards garish, tacky and irksome..............

Elm Street is about a heritage built-form with which giant billboards would very overtly clash.

It's at Dundas Square on Yonge Street lol Why not add to it? There are billboards just north of this at the corner of Gerrard.
Also I believe it would be approved instantly as that area is a special advertising/signs district like Chinatown and Koreatown where it is encouraged.
Not quite. This site sits within the 'Downtown Yonge Special Sign District', not the 'Yonge Dundas Special Sign District' and comes with different rules than YD Square. I'm not as quick to write an attempt to put signage on a residential building off as is @Northern Light, nor am I necessarily against the idea, but it certainly wouldn't be the walk in the park you depict as well.

Still, the massing "pinch" down at the lowest floors looks awkward, rather like it's signaling an awful lot of problematic compression. I just don't find it very attractive. But the cladding, as depicted in the rendering, at least, looks lovely.

Seems like a real missed opportunity for the condo owners not to have some enormous advertising space on that; they could be raking in cash if they added some, lower the condo fees, worry less about the condo reserve fund. Put a mechanical floor right above the heritage buildings with giant tv advertising on the outside.

Any potential advertising will be blocked by the 34s Atrium on Bay expansion, presuming that happens.

Any potential advertising will be blocked by the 34s Atrium on Bay expansion, presuming that happens.

I'd forgotten about the Atrium Tower (notched over the existing advertising/sign tower)... could be a big impact on south views from the lower half of 8 Elm.

https://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/default/files/images/projects/21843/21843-147475.jpg

Last edited:
No advertising on Elm, full stop. That collection of heritage buildings on the north side of Elm is one of Toronto's finest, specifically 8 through 18. Less so the building on the NW corner, but any garish signage would significantly degrade the view of St. George's Hall and old YMCA Building.

elmst.jpg

Of course the view is already accented by classic Toronto touches like semi-permanent construction and excess signage, so the last thing it needs is any more visual clutter.

Love it or hate it, Dundas Square does add energy to our downtown and is probably the most photographed spot in the city. I'm fine with one section of town being a crass, over the top, loud, sensory overload but it needs to be confined to Dundas Square.

If anything, we need to get rid of the tens of thousands of ghastly plastic garish retail signage that have ruined heritage buildings on every major artery in this city. And contrary to what some on UT think, that doesn't mean no signage. Retail managed to stay in business for decades with signage that was respectful of the building's architecture. 5ive Condos is a prime example of appropriate retail signage on heritage buildings.

Queen West, Dundas West, College, Bloor West, Church, Spadina, Danforth, etc. It's unbelievable (and sad) what Toronto has done to its old building stock ....although some seem to think criticizing the scarring/defacing of these buildings is tantamount to Toronto bashing. They think it looks great, I guess.

Last edited:

Back