Toronto Adagio | 85m | 26s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

no please

Next OMB pre-hearing is scheduled on Jan. 10 2018. The plan has also been revised:

771yonge2.png

Edit: The architect on file is now Giannone Petricone Associates.

Here is an excerpt from the cover letter by Menke's representatives:
In the spirit of continued cooperation, our client has re-examined the site and retained a new architect who has completely changed the direction of the design, which design is focused on both increasing the size of all units with a built form that in essence, respects the existing "as of right" zoning, with modest addition above the "as of right" zoning envelope. The revised design not only offers "higher end" large luxury units, it is a design that includes a concept of stacked "villas" in the sky with sculptured elements and "bump outs" along all facades of the reduced built form. Along with the added articulation at all levels, the overall building height has been reduced by 84.35 metres from 48 storeys (166.05 metres) to 26 storeys (81.70 metres).
@DonValleyRainbow

Attachments

• 771yonge2.png
    771yonge2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,304
Last edited:
What happened I liked the old rendering it was unique ! That building would look better across the street next to One Yorkville instead of the one that's going to be developed at Eight Cumberland.

Refreshing to see quality over quantity, and a condo development that's not rushed to market/construction.
If it actually gets built like in the renderings, it will be a very beautiful building. A great move by Menkes to make large and two-storey units instead of cramming tiny 1-bedrooms that investors flock to and the eventual cheapening.
This is like the style and quality of 500 Wellington, another fine looking building, but on a much larger scale.

While the previous design was nice, it looked too busy and a bit too showy. It's merely a box that has been decorated with a patterned wrapper -- a Wallman signature.

It's still a decorated box. Both can be easily ruined by spandrel. I preferred Wallman's tile pattern. The design had more longevity. This one already looks dated.

anyone know if they managed to pick up the missing parcel between this and the Bay building?

It's not part of the current proposal and I don't think they did. Separation from the Hudson Bay Centre building is a key issue here, not sure if there's anything meaningful they could have done with that parcel. The FSI for their last proposal wasn't unusually high to begin with given the location (Nov. submission FSI: 19.9; current iteration: 14.26).

Refreshing to see quality over quantity, and a condo development that's not rushed to market/construction.
If it actually gets built like in the renderings, it will be a very beautiful building.

In fact, I wish the current proposal is slightly taller as it'd look better in my opinion:

upload_2017-8-2_11-5-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-2_11-5-52.png
    upload_2017-8-2_11-5-52.png
    525.9 KB · Views: 704

Back