Vaughan 7700 Keele | ?m | 60s | Avenue 7 Developments Ltd | BDP Quadrangle

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Popped up on my Linkedin feed the other day - forgot to see if it was posted here _maybe it has - if so a mod can remove)

This new community will consist of approximately 3,000 residential units, 113,000 square feet of office and retail space and 14,500 square feet of community amenity space. A new 1.4 acre public park will be the focus of the community.

8 mixed-use buildings ranging from 6 to 60s

Source for images - https://www.linkedin.com/posts/chri...=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

For context for everyone; this is the south-west corner of Keele & 7

1657027774622.png

Site size ~ 5 hectares /12.5 acres.

My only immediate comment is that 1.4 acres of parkland is far too little for such a large community, particularly given that there are no significant parks within walking distance of this site.

If this quadrant of this intersection is to go mixed-use, and I wonder about that, given the highway and the rail yard.........but if.......... then the entire quadrant needs to be planned together; and
a single park of at least 10 acres needs to be at the centre of the new community.

I see this finally made its way out of the woodwork.

Personally not a huge fan, I think the densities are off for what is really a rather area for transit access. Residential uses here are probably fine, but they need to be planned comprehensively for the entire area and should probably be at a lower density to reflect the nature of transit access here which is really just BRT with poor frequencies.

I love the look of the buildings, but the city of Vaughan shouldn't allow this to happen. The VMC is right over the train tracks. Every big development in Vaughan should be sent straight there for the foreseeable future. Aside from other densely developed areas like Promenade/ Thornhill CC, every large-scale proposal like this should be lifted up, and plopped somewhere in the VMC. Focus on building a great downtown, not a mediocre one with a beautiful development like this across the giant CN Rail corridor.
* I live like 5 minutes from here, that's why I'm so invested

I'm so jealous... in particular I want that 60 storey flatiron downtown.

Vaughan may one day have the 2 best flatiron 'scrapers in the country. 😥

BTW thanks for posting little 200k to 300k jpegs @ChesterCopperpot (instead of the dreaded 2 or 3 meg pngs elsewhere ;-).

The "little village of Concord" is long, long gone, it's been a placeless industrial and suburban hellscape for decades.

You're not harsh all that often, at least publicly..........

But here, you certainly show that an exception need not be modest, or hesitant in the least.

I know that. But most people don't seem to:

View attachment 414555
Well, there's still an area of Vaughan known as Concord, I was just taking issue with the "little village" part of the statement. I wouldn't consider the choices of which area names to include on the Official Ontario Road Map to be an exhaustive list of all places that could or should be named on it; you can only add so much as scale allows.

Well, there's still an area of Vaughan known as Concord, I was just taking issue with the "little village" part of the statement. I wouldn't consider the choices of which area names to include on the Official Ontario Road Map to be an exhaustive list of all places that could or should be named on it; you can only add so much as scale allows.

I was kidding. It was a reference to people thinking of Concord as a distinct place that goes well beyond the identity of any Toronto neighborhood--which is why its still on the map in the first place. That has nothing to do with it being able to fit on said map.

Last edited:

Back