Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

Today.

D8F26C31-40DC-4F26-A369-1150400950ED.jpeg

43595E1B-E715-4237-AF79-7033941CD95C.jpeg

15EB393C-4DD5-488C-9D8F-108E33D78D5C.jpeg

21ACACC8-5C75-4029-A2F8-20EA602F5119.jpeg

That photo emphasizes how built up the eastern end of downtown is becoming. It's not hard to imagine it a dense forest of mid-rises/high-rises all the way to the Don.

Awesome looking building! I walked by it the other day.

There's obviously a very logical answer, but why are all of the mechanical elements always on the TOP of condo/office buildings? Why not bury them below the lowest parking level?

Awesome looking building! I walked by it the other day.

There's obviously a very logical answer, but why are all of the mechanical elements always on the TOP of condo/office buildings? Why not bury them below the lowest parking level?
Most of the space in mechanical penthouses is taken up with HVAC units that require air to operate. Buildings that go the geothermal route are typically able to reduce mechanical penthouses to mere elevator overrun space. Particularly tall buildings (much taller than this one) might install a tuned mass damper up top to counteract the effects of wind on a building to reduce sway.

Most of the space in mechanical penthouses is taken up with HVAC units that require air to operate. Buildings that go the geothermal route are typically able to reduce mechanical penthouses to mere elevator overrun space. Particularly tall buildings (much taller than this one) might install a tuned mass damper up top to counteract the effects of wind on a building to reduce sway.

Interestingly, in the years that have followed Hurricane Sandy, a number of NYC developers have been moving as much mechanical and servicing as possible to the roof and out of the basement, for fear that 100-year storms are going to be happening much more than once every 100 years henceforth.

I generally like the building but one small personal critique. I wish the horizonal brick was present on every floor instead of skipping a floor. The "skipping a floor before laying down the next horizonal layer" seems to be a common and odd thing in modern Toronto condo design.

How is it odd? Architects since the ancient times have used strategies like that to enhance the visual proportions of their buildings. It would be odd to be endlessly limited to a 3m height for a facade module instead of playing with proportions.

Back