Toronto 728 Yonge | ?m | 3s | Brook McIlroy

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just got word that the Shoppers Drug Mart building at Yonge & Charles will be demolished next March and replaced with a new building containing a Shoppers. No word yet on height but they said it might also be 3 storeys.

Capturesdm.JPG

I forgot to say that this drug store will follow the lead of many others and will be 2 storeys. Top floor will apparently be offices. I'm just surprised they're not going for more height.

If it's going to remain 3 storeys (and especially given that it's part of the proposed Yonge HCD that Wong-Tam's spearheading), I can picture the facade resurrected/restored in the rebuild...

That little crappy mall on the northwest corner of Yonge and Charles needs to be blown up and replaced with something better.

The should either restore the old facade like what was done to the Dineen building, or replace it with something a bit taller and bigger (south side is one storey which makes no sense at Yonge/Bloor).

It's so ugly on the outside, I haven't been tempted to go inside.

Even above the first floor?

Oh: and keep in mind that to old timers, this'll forever be identified with the "flagship" Coles store.

If this building was renovated/restored, (including the first floor) I bet it would look quite good. I certainly hope it will not be torn down. I thought we had protection for historic buildings like this?

Back