Toronto 705 Warden Avenue | 63.4m | 19s | CreateTO | superkül

This is now 19, 18 and 6 storeys:

gweeswad.JPG
rgedsa.JPG

This is a world better than the initial application, but they are still building way too much road here, wasting space, and the single storey TTC building continues to be a gigantic waste.

The problem is that the whole scheme needs to be fundamentally rethought, not just add a few floors to the existing scheme.

^Exactly I couldnt agree more. For instance, what's restricting any kind of residential from being incorporated to the TTC operation's building? Is there some kind of magical barrier preventing this from happening.

Area residents, as they have before, voiced opposition to affordable housing.

Voice breaking, one woman said the area is “getting worse and worse.”

“I don’t want to see a ghetto in this neighbourhood that I love,” she told the meeting.

Another woman said she put her life savings into a townhouse near the site and now stands “to lose equity” because of the proposal.

These people are so idiotic it's not even funny. I wish we could evict them straight from their house to the streets, and give people their housing.

If they dont like it here's a simple solution for them: MOVE.

I live in the area and no I will not move. Try to force me out of my house and watch what happens.

That being said, I do not want affordable housing in the area. We have plenty of TCHC buildings, low rent apartments, etc in the area and they are havens for drugs, prostitution etc.

At Birchmount and St Clair there is a TCHC building with frequent pick-ups, drop-offs and deliveries (as seen by myself and others) in BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I doubt that people living to the letter of the law live there and drive BMWs.

While I agree having a bunch buildings, grouped together that are developed solely and exclusively as TCHC/low-rental units is a general bad idea, the key is developing these buildings as mixed use (ie: having affordable/subsidized housing, and market rental units). That way, there is a mix of demographics that live in the immediate area and as a result, you're more likely to avoid the problems that you listed above.

You're not wrong in that TCHC/low rent apartments can be, and often are, drug havens. I've seen it around countless areas in this city where there are clear differences in criminal activity due to the type of housing concentrated in an area. This is exactly why having mixed-use buildings is one of the keys to improving the situation.

However, for someone to say they're going to "lose equity" because of a neighboring development is an outright joke.

Last edited:
This is exactly why having mixed-use buildings is one of the keys to improving the situation.

I know someone who lives at 150 Dan Leckie Way in Cityplace. It is a mixed use building consisting of low income, subsidized and market rent condos along with actual owned units.

The fire alarm is pulled almost daily, police are there often and it is not the sort of place you want your family to live.

^And who says those issues are not caused by Airbnb partiers who invite their dope-fiends friends? Or by market renters who are dope-fiends? Or by low income renters?

Those problems at 150 Dan Leckie can be attributed to any one of the groups you mentioned above. The point is: you're less likely to have those issues and others in mixed use buildings, compared to buildings that are solely dedicated to low rent/subsidized housing.

Toronto’s Housing Now affordable housing plan delayed by COVID-19, planning issues

Fri., June 12, 2020

Mayor John Tory’s signature plan to create affordable housing quickly has run into delays ranging from six months to two years at some sites, according to a city report tabled Friday.

The Housing Now initiative was announced by Tory soon after his election in 2018 and was aimed at getting affordable housing to market in a streamlined way by making 11 city properties available to developers.

Now development of all 11 of those sites is behind schedule, according to an update presented on Friday to CreateTO, the city agency managing Toronto’s real estate portfolio.

Disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic were cited as a source of delay at about half of the sites, but didn’t account for everything.

------
And 705 Warden Ave., has been delayed 18 months for reasons including COVID and planning approval revisions.

This is what happens when government drags its feet on various issues because of planning, studies, consultations, more planning, etc..

The amount of stalling that goes on municipally and provincially is ridiculous.

From a Nov. 20 report prepared by CreateTO's Vice President of Development: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.RA19.5#

705 Warden Avenue

A revised Zoning By-law and draft plan of subdivision conditions were approved by City Council June 28, 2020. The Zoning By-law is in force. The business and marketing plan was approved by the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services and the Chief Financial Officer. The site was released to market on August 10, 2020, and bids were received on October 7, 2020. A preferred proponent has been selected and the Term Sheet has been negotiated, as detailed in a separate report, submitted for the Board's consideration at the December 4, 2020 meeting.

Other notable updates:
  • The total number of units has increased from 561 to 600 (250 affordable)
  • Construction is currently forecast to begin Q1 2022

Back