Toronto 700 Bay Street | 94.79m | 32s | KingSett Capital | BDP Quadrangle

1603071762688.png

1603071805392.png

1603071849667.png

1603071882577.png

The four (but more like seven) storey addition on the slab tower really looks gross. I can't say that I really see how it's a better result than the original proposed point tower addition...

Ugh. It's not that hard to imagine something where they add the west tower, reclad the original residential units (if necessary) while adding a matching vertical extension, and we end up with something that adds additional space, updates the building look, and respects what was already there. Instead we get what looks like 4 buildings eating each other. Just such a complete failure on all counts.

This building is comically bad. First year architecture students should be taken to a tour of the building and told "don't do this".

Took a perfectly coherent building and turned it into straight up barf.

This building is comically bad. First year architecture students should be taken to a tour of the building and told "don't do this".

Or take them on the tour and told "this might be your future".

AoD

I have an odd soft spot for this. It's a monster that does not pretend to be anything but. The original already looked cobbled-together, this just adds another layer of incoherence.

Agreed. Bad or not, I don't think it belongs in the same category as the Simpson Tower reclad.

Agreed. Bad or not, I don't think it belongs in the same category as the Simpson Tower reclad.

Personally I thought it looked even worse simply because it wasn't a complete reclad of the entire structure. It looks incredibly messy and interrupts the rhythm of the original building (like that vertical strip of black cladding that just chewed through everything and sticks out visually - topped by an addition that made no attempt to complement the original slab). Definitely one of the most aesthetically wanting addition in this town.

AoD

Last edited:

Back