Toronto 70 St Mary Street | 132.58m | 40s | Loretto College | a—A

I wonder if they are trying to push this through before the folks in 77 Charles move in and realize what is happening. It appears this development and 77 will be about 15m apart.

I wonder if they are trying to push this through before the folks in 77 Charles move in and realize what is happening. It appears this development and 77 will be about 15m apart.

Why would they bother trying to push it through? Even if they lop 20 floors off this thing, it will still block all the views from 77 Charles.

Well, it is one fewer building of people that would register complaints and changes to the design.

The proposal will be set on the east side, so for the most part those in 77 will still retain part of their southern views.

I dont favour this development. The level of intensification in this area is getting out of control. The streets are tiny and the neighbourhood is getting overwhelmed -

• The St Thomas (on hold, but scale is approved)
  • 1 St Thomas
  • 77 Charles
  • U Condos X 2
  • Lorreto College

These buildings are within yards of one another. Loretto College is a decent sized building as it is, and rather fine looking. I dont see why he college should be allowed to jam more condos in there. And I've ignored the Charles apartments at Bay.

I dont favour this development. The level of intensification in this area is getting out of control. The streets are tiny and the neighbourhood is getting overwhelmed -

• The St Thomas (on hold, but scale is approved)
  • 1 St Thomas
  • 77 Charles
  • U Condos X 2
  • Lorreto College

These buildings are within yards of one another. Loretto College is a decent sized building as it is, and rather fine looking. I dont see why he college should be allowed to jam more condos in there. And I've ignored the Charles apartments at Bay.

So what if they are within yards of one another? None of The St. Thomas, One St. Thomas or 77 Charles are on St. Mary's Street or access St. Mary Street. How would they negatively impact it?

I'm talking about sightlines and sunlight. Residents in any neighbourhood need to accomodate intensification. At the same time they ought to have some rights, and the burden should be shared. Even Cityplace has much more breathing room.

Is that some type of confession? We're talking about urban development here. You're getting your groups mixed up.

holy hell, how can they go from proposing a 19 storey tower to a 40 storey tower? did they update the proposal sign on the property?

did they update the proposal sign on the property?

I can confirm a new sign with an aerial image of the building in context with a viewpoint from the park. No pics, sorry.

It looks like an aA greatest hits grab bag; it has a bit of the shelving feel of 1Thousand Bay and a hat like Casa. It's hard to tell that there is a hat in the prelim report, but it certainly looks like it in the render. Perhaps it is different glass to create a visual effect.

My initial problem with this design is that the tower is on the east side of the property. If this goes through, what is going to happen is that there will be a cluster of buildings on that side (one of the U Condo towers is situated almost directly across from this plan) and then a drop off as it reaches U of T. Why not put the building on the west side and give everyone a little bit more room?

Also, balconies for the student residences? Unnecessary and a bad idea.

Last edited:
6967570015_0d7dd0a07b_b.jpg

6967570889_b1dc0fe182_z.jpg

The different cladding on the bottom portion of the building would to me suggest balcony free units, and that's definitely where they would stick the residences.

Overall pretty boring though.

Also, balconies for the student residences? Unnecessary and a bad idea.

whoa, excellent point. agreed.

although, loretto college is all-female, and it's run by nuns. so students there may not get too 'out of control'.

another issue:
st mary's is a dead end street, and with all of this new development, parking/traffic is going to be a nightmare when students are moving in/out of all of the residences in the area

Last edited:

Back