Toronto 70 St Mary Street | 132.58m | 40s | Loretto College | a—A

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't find this listed anywhere. This building is just west of Bay St.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1J3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 108774 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Feb 11, 2009

Project: Multiple-Use Building Addition

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 11-MAR-09, >>Proposal to construct a 6 storey addition that contains a new elevator shaft and new vestibule to an exisiting 5 storey school/dormitory/office building.

oh wow... this is the "Loretto College" building (belongs to St Michael's College at U of T).

Last edited:
There is a new sign out front of this building proposing a new, 10-storey building with student residences on the bottom, and condo on top. sounds much like what they're doing with 77 charles.

70St.Mary.jpg

This building? Hmm - it's directly south of 77 Charles.

Last edited:
yeah it's this building.
the proposal strikes me as really odd considering they just put in brand new windows everywhere and are in the process of building an elevator shaft on the eastern end. I guess we won't see anything actually come to fruition for a while.
Considering it's owned by St Michaels and is across from their U condos site, I guess we could potentially see a "U2"? haha

It's shown on the map, but so are a lot of other buildings that don't exist anymore.

Condos? It seems odd. Is St Mike's that pressed for cash that they need to tear down and rebuild one of their main residences?

It's funny. My knee-jerk reaction was that that's way too high for that location. Then I realized U is immediately south of it.

I think I'd prefer this if they made the podium 4-storeys, but cut the footprint in half. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add some more greenspace to the area, with all of the new development. The west end of St. Mary could really do for a nice makeover. Maybe a turning circle with a landscaped island in the middle or something of the sort.

Edit: And really, some thought should be given to how this will look from Bloor. Even incomplete, 77 Charles is actually an attractive view terminus. I wonder if the tower is far enough to the east that it won't really be visible from Bloor, and if it is visible how does it relate to 77 Charles?

Last edited:
i can't imagine wanting to live above a student dorm - condos probably be rented out to more students

Back