Toronto 675 Progress Avenue | ?m | 49s | SvN

Urbanity in Scarborough will have to start spreading from somewhere…

Meanwhile, reading back in the thread and seeing that the land is put to good use as a manufacturing plant currently (if that's still the case) means that I'm not in any rush to see the change in land use pictured above.

Urbanity in Scarborough will have to start spreading from somewhere…

Meanwhile, reading back in the thread and seeing that the land is put to good use as a manufacturing plant currently (if that's still the case) means that I'm not in any rush to see the change in land use pictured above.

"....This application pertains to lands located at 675 Progress Avenue (currently occupied by the A.G. Simpson heavy metal stamping plant, which is scheduled to cease operation in the spring of 2011)..."

The plant manufactured steel bumpers for vehicles - not a sustainable long term business plan. While chrome covered steel bumpers disappeared from cars a long time ago, the market for steel bumpers for pickup trucks lasted longer, but now has disappeared as well. I believe Scarborough A G Simpson plant shut down as planned in 2011. The A G Simpson plant in Oakville closed around the time of the original AG Simpson bankruptcy and restructuring in the 2001 / 2002 timeframe.

Like what happened in downtown Toronto - the two Kings (King and Parliament, King and Spadina) - the nature of industry in the city evolves. I think it is doubtful that heavy metal stamping, or other equivalent use is likely to find its way into this plant. It will either need to be recycled into some other form of employment use, or the land repurposed to some other higher value use (e.g. residential or commercial/residential), as is being proposed.

Some updated images from the SvN (formerly pA/rA/rP) site:

130531_675Progress_INTERNAL_PRESENTATION_Page_30.jpg

130531_675Progress_INTERNAL_PRESENTATION_Page_33.jpg

130531_675Progress_INTERNAL_PRESENTATION_Page_35.jpg

130531_675Progress_INTERNAL_PRESENTATION_Page_31.jpg

130531_675Progress_INTERNAL_PRESENTATION_Page_34.jpg

130531_675Progress_INTERNAL_PRESENTATION_Page_32.jpg

I wonder if this development takes up the entire 11.3 acre site? If it does that's some serious density, and I think it does.

This bizarre development is putting high density in the middle of an industrial park and at the expense of manufacturing jobs, while some of the most prime lands in Scarborough Centre remain undeveloped.

675 Progress 3.jpg

Attachments

• 675 Progress 3.jpg
    675 Progress 3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 913
Huh. Scarborough finally grows up.

I guess every desinated high growth area is going to grow up quick. Because of the restricted green areas act. There's no where to grow but to grow upwards.
It would of been better if the the Scarborough Town Center was more evenly centered between Shepherd, Kennedy and Midland Ave. On the north side of the 401. This location would of tightened up the commuter lines. Like Shepherd line, Go train and Smart track in one location. Not to looping all over the place to get to the Town Center.
I wouldn't be surprised if that desinated area becomes very dense because of the proposed commuter lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google still shows everything intact for me. Odd.
Use the historic imagery feature on google earth. There is a lot of imagery there that isn't the permanent imagery used in Maps. The current standard imagery is from October 2016, there is newer stuff for Scarborough/downtown/Markham from this October.

Back