Toronto 675 King West | 65.82m | 19s | Colonia Treuhand Holdings | Sweeny &Co

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is the plan to redevelop this property on King, just west of Bathurst, on the south side.

1664953483244.png

The above property in its current form:

1664953551934.png

From the Docs:

1664953660371.png

1664954033047.png

1664954924378.png

1664953925730.png

1664953807199.png

1664954869299.png

1664955050934.png

Of note here is the blank wall on the east elevation, for which this explanation is provided:

1664954391380.png

I would prefer to see some clarity here on the degree of preservation to be afforded The Wheat Sheaf Tavern to determine whether this treatment is appropriate.

If the Tavern is proposed to be preserved in whole, in-situ, then this treatment is not acceptable.

Last edited:
New to the AIC is the plan to redevelop this property on King, just west of Bathurst, on the south side.

I would prefer to see some clarity here on the degree of preservation to be afforded The Wheat Sheaf Tavern to determine whether this treatment is appropriate.

If the Tavern is proposed to be preserved in whole, in-situ, then this treatment is not acceptable.

Based on this application, neither the Wheatsheaf building (665 King Street West), nor the building with the Fortune Teller / Coco Rice Restaurant tenants (669 King Street West), both of which are to the east of the 675 King Street building are included in this proposal. The Wheatsheaf is not being touched. Not sure what the issue is here - I am pretty sure the Wheatsheaf is heritage protected - even Metrolinx would not touch it for the new King Bathurst subway construction staging / station development.

Based on this application, neither the Wheatsheaf building (665 King Street West), nor the building with the Fortune Teller / Coco Rice Restaurant tenants (669 King Street West), both of which are to the east of the 675 King Street building are included in this proposal. The Wheatsheaf is not being touched. Not sure what the issue is here - I am pretty sure the Wheatsheaf is heritage protected - even Metrolinx would not touch it for the new King Bathurst subway construction staging / station development.

For clarity, I'm not liking the Blank Wall; both because I don't like a blank wall; but also because the stated premise/justification is potential development of the Wheat Sheaf, which I agree, should be off the table.

For clarity, I'm not liking the Blank Wall; both because I don't like a blank wall; but also because the stated premise/justification is potential development of the Wheat Sheaf, which I agree, should be off the table.

The problem is, without some form of indemnity agreement with the owners of 669 King Street West, 675 would not be able, from the City's permitting perspective, to have other than a blank wall, so as not to presume against any future rights for redevelopment the owners of the 675 King Street building might have, not matter how small the lot size may be.

Totally unrealistic and unreasonable given the small lot size of the 675 King Street West property, but unfortunately neither you nor I would be the ones to make the rules in this situation.

You'd need a Limiting Distance Agreement over both of them, then you'd still need to sprinkler any windows that were right on the property line.

Reactions: AHK
Not to worry; that blank wall will be the perfect spot for an awesome mural. Maybe something along the lines of the Okuda San Miguel mural at Jarvis/Carlton? It’s a win-win, the Wheat Sheaf gets preserved and we get cool art.

Not to worry; that blank wall will be the perfect spot for an awesome mural. Maybe something along the lines of the Okuda San Miguel mural at Jarvis/Carlton? It’s a win-win, the Wheat Sheaf gets preserved and we get cool art.

Fine, LOL; on behalf of the UT community, you're delegated the responsibility to make it happen!

I expect nothing short of a masterpiece! :D

Or even worse, a commercial billboard.

This prominent intersection needs something interesting and fun. Maybe that blank wall could be a cool opportunity for an impressive public art installation.
The clocks on the Clocktower Lofts across the street never seems to be working and ever since the building was completely painted over in dark grey and white the clock has lost some of its presence.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm impressed.

Surely they could come up with a design and base that are a better fit for the heritage structure next door, and the area in general?

Looks as if this new building will block off the gap between the two hotels to be built at 689 King st west leaving a cavern facing 705 king st west. Same architects for both projects. Not a good combo. More hodge podge. I wish Hines bought these two properties. They are developing 64-86 Bathurst on the same block. It would look soo much better if it was one developer instead of 3.
https://urbantoronto.ca/dat.../projects/689-king-street-west

Back