Toronto King-Bathurst Transit Oriented Community: South Site | 88.9m | 25s | Infrastructure ON | SvN

663 King Street West, 69-73 Bathurst Street and 58-60 Stewart Street- Rental Housing Demolition Application - Final Report

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on February 24, 2021. It will be considered by City Council on March 10, 2021, subject to the actions of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

This is the furthest thing from rubbish - I'd say this is a totally acceptable fabric building. Not every structure needs to be a masterpiece. At least this looks like it will be easy to execute well.
I agree. This iteration adds a building cornice, better window detailing with the white stripes, and more brick along the King frontage. End of the day, those are the details that matter to the pedestrian walking by.

The current standing building has raw character, it's an absolute classic, one of my favourites in the hood. Removing or covering the stone pillars with generic white faux pillars makes the base look like it belongs in a suburban Atlanta shopping mall. Additional added white cues on the base detract from current building motif and appear only to be placed as a desperate attempt to match the base to a totally dissimilar and overbearing top. Utter trash.

This is the furthest thing from rubbish - I'd say this is a totally acceptable fabric building. Not every structure needs to be a masterpiece. At least this looks like it will be easy to execute well.

I agree. Not every structure needs to be a masterpiece (nor is it a realistic expectation).

The problem is our infill is usually junk. We need to raise the floor on the quality of design and implementation in this city.

We've lost a huge volume of historic building stock. Most of it has been replaced buildings of lesser quality, by a substantial margin.

This isn't infill, it's on a major intersection in the downtown core area, something the city will have to live with for the next 50+ years. I think it would be challenging to come up with a less appealing or respective design. I'm all for filling in those parking lots but this is a big step backwards for King Street.

Initial Ontario Line concept rendering for 663 King Street West King and Bathurst station with Transit Oriented Community redevelopment - from the Ontario Government news release:

Draft concept of the proposed King-Bathurst Station site:

lol poor developers. Spend millions moving this project forward and get close to starting construction and BOOM, Metrolinx expropriates you.

It's actually interesting, cause there's still condos on top of it, so can they lease it to Metrolinx like another tenant and sell the condos like normal?

Initial Ontario Line concept rendering for 663 King Street West King and Bathurst station with Transit Oriented Community redevelopment - from the Ontario Government news release:

Draft concept of the proposed King-Bathurst Station site:

I wish they would keep the street-level King Street frontage and the corner frontage as is. These old industrial buildings have an attractive classic quality that is not done anymore.

It's actually interesting, cause there's still condos on top of it, so can they lease it to Metrolinx like another tenant and sell the condos like normal?
I hear it's an expropriation and not leased.

The loss of parking will be an issue as the underground levels will now be much tighter, it's already a small space - I'm sureTC/HV will look into underground automatic parking systems.

Back