Toronto King-Bathurst Transit Oriented Community: South Site | 88.9m | 25s | Infrastructure ON | SvN

Anyone know when the construction is supposed to begin?

I suspect construction will not be starting for a while. The emergency fire escape exit structure that is now being built is quite elaborate - and a material investment that would be a throw-away once construction starts. Each floor now has multiple exit openings on the west side of the building. Each floor also has a long rail being installed to which the extended platforms are attached.

20201228_125007.jpg

Absolutely rubbish. They might as well take down the entire historical facade, because they are doing it a severe injustice.

This is one of those sites I wish Allied grabbed, because we would've had something interesting come out of this. Instead of you know, whatever nonsense this is.

Definitely better than the last iteration (which is not a great standard to begin with). As long as they don't butcher the preservation of the older buildings, I'll be happy.
Exactly, I only care about the Heritage building cause the rest is whatever, but I do like the red brick build for the black building next to it

Exactly, I only care about the Heritage building cause the rest is whatever, but I do like the red brick build for the black building next to it
I should clarify that I meant as long as they go with this iteration AND don't butcher the heritage building, I'll be happy! I still care about what they build above. Ideally for me, they would combine the tower portion of the very initial proposal and the podium/heritage buildings of this one.

Diamond Schmitt only seem to be able to do decent cultural and institutional work. Or maybe they put their B Team on residential projects?

Diamond Schmitt only seem to be able to do decent cultural and institutional work. Or maybe they put their B Team on residential projects?
Transit City is B-Team? St Clair Place is B-Team? 717 Church is B-Team? Waterworks is B-Team? They've made mistakes in working for some developers who have totally cheaped out and made them look like F-Team in those instances, but they can pull off as good a set of residential buildings as anyone when they're working for a developer that's willing to pay what it takes to create a refined exterior.

In this case, maybe ironically, I'd actually consider this a B-Team design, putting the developer on the team too, and potentially to be executed worse than that if Timbercreek cheaps out on the materials on the final product. It's not worse than a B-Team design at this point though, and I think you can go worse.

Back