Toronto King-Bathurst Transit Oriented Community: South Site | 88.9m | 25s | Infrastructure ON | SvN

appealed to the LPAT due to Council's failure to respond in time. Planning recommends that Council send staff to oppose the development at the LPAT:

Gee, i just cant wait to see how many developments get bottled up once the LPAT is in full power..lol
Hmm? are the booming times coming to an end?

Gee, i just cant wait to see how many developments get bottled up once the LPAT is in full power..lol
Hmm? are the booming times coming to an end?
Probably, yah. Substantially increasing the time to build impacts the bottom line of developments greatly. Time is money.

Combined with increases in development charges, the condo market being so high, and inclusionary zoning, I see us choking the life out of the boom.

60 Stewart and 663 King West sold as part of portfolio sale to Timbercreek from Main and Main. Source: Realnet, Urbanation, Geowarehouse.

Probably, yah. Substantially increasing the time to build impacts the bottom line of developments greatly. Time is money.

Combined with increases in development charges, the condo market being so high, and inclusionary zoning, I see us choking the life out of the boom.

+ Increased construction costs. Not to mention recent HCDs, tower separations, and now TO Core (restrictions on net new shadows on parks, requirement of 40% 2+bedrooms in buildings with 80+ units)... Yikes, scary times ahead for housing after this boom. I suspect only the big players will survive in this city and we'll see fewer proposals.

I also heard in a recent interview with Brad Lamb that tall buildings will soon have a requirement to contain X amount of commercial space (office not retail) -- does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Actually, there are all sorts of provisions in TOcore that are meant to ensure we get lots of new commercial space along with the residential. For example, in some areas there'll be no residential allowed below the 4th floor, while in the Financial Core they'll only allow density increases for non-residential uses. There's lots to keep planners and lawyers employed in the beefed up regulations!

Also, none of these policies have gone through a board hearing yet. TOCore is looking at another 1-3 years of board mediation before it actually goes in force. Not like the city won't try to enforce it in the mean time.. but they ultimately don't have full control.

ahh, found it:

Development in the King-Spadina and King-Parliament Secondary Plan Areas will provide the greater of:
6.8.1. the replacement of all existing non-residential gross floor area, including full replacement of cultural spaces; or
6.8.2. a minimum of 25 per cent of the total gross floor area as non-residential uses, including full replacement of cultural spaces.

TOcore has a ton of overly strenuous policies if you ask me. It's only going to drive costs even higher.

ahh, found it:

TOcore has a ton of overly strenuous policies if you ask me. It's only going to drive costs even higher.
Most of it is stuff that Planning, or the local Councillor, is asking for/pushing for on individual projects already, so while it's putting more conditions on development, it may also help speed up the process by clarifying what the City expects in advance. Hopefully we get more multi-use developments from it and a more lively and varied city as a result.

I think they indeed have their place; If developers had their way I could see them building purely residential, not because there isn't commercial (retail/office) demand, but I'm sure it complicates the planning/design/time-to-market/... various elements of a project by including those elements.

Rumour of a settlement on this one with the City but do not have the details.
Intresting
.....a bit off topic, the corner property across the street has been sold to Allied so also expect some kind of development for that N/E intersection in the future

Allied’s most recent acquisitions
* Located immediately west of Allied’s 662 King West and on the northeast corner of King and Bathurst in Toronto, 668 King West is a strategic acquisition giving Allied control of an underutilized corner site comprised of 17,400 square feet of land with 149 feet of frontage on King West. 668 King West includes a two-storey building with 6,934 square feet of GLA, all of which is leased. The assembly has intensification potential, though Allied does not intend to pursue this potential in the near term;
https://renx.ca/allied-ends-2018-six-stratergic-office-acquisitions/

Back