Niagara Falls 6609 Stanley Avenue | 254m | 72s | Hariri Pontarini

Is there a UT thread?
Sorry to say, I'm not sure. We have spotty coverage of Niagara Falls, and while we do have some old threads for other River Road developments, I'm not sure if one of those has become the recently rejected one.

You can find a story on the River Road rejection here:
… in regards to the old threads, maybe this one?
Niagara Falls - First Condo Tower in Two Decades
This one's down the road:
5555 River Rd, Niagara Falls (Hotels, Niagara Global Developments, 60 + 61s, B+H)

Maybe @G.L.17 will have some insight on this?

Niagara Falls is definitely not at the point yet where it needs to focus on highly urbanizing the downtown at ground level, there's a lot to deal with first, especially in regards to attracting more capital and increasing their tax base commercially, and this does exactly that.
There's no such thing as "we'll worry about the ground level after we've addressed all our other problems". When it comes to highrises, whatever gets built now is essentially permanent. There is no fixing it later.

It's also what current generations want right now. They have no interest investing in high priced resorts. They want to walk down a street and socialize. Niagara Falls competition is downtown Hamilton and this project does absolutely nothing for the city unless it's built. Good luck.

There's no such thing as "we'll worry about the ground level after we've addressed all our other problems". When it comes to highrises, whatever gets built now is essentially permanent. There is no fixing it later.

To build on this point, Niagara's keen interests here actually relate to intensifying its permanent, year-round population; and boosting its economy via tourism, less in the sense of attracting more tourists (though they'll happily take that) but rather in increasing overnight and multi-day stays and increasing per capita spend.

To do so not only requires creating a walkable, pleasant space, especially around a key new hotel and key new residence; but also linking that streetscape and integrating that walking, cycling, transit experience with adjacent areas and tourist locales.

This area needs a slew of things beyond nice streetscape and good podium/ground level treatments, but that is a critical start.

If I were to look at what's missing, I'd start with a high-quality urban supermarket to serve the needs of the residential population, leaning upmarket so it also serves non-Canadian tourists to get their maple syrup and other Canadian food'isms in as well.

Follow that with a flagship LCBO showcasing Niagara wine; some additional good quality restos, particularly offering the patio experience; and then something both tourists and locals could use, shift the local multiplex to the Clifton Hills to Fallsview area; and make it fit the tourist bill; licensed bar, licensed cinemas, at least 1 IMAX, at least 3 VIP screens, creating something for locals, but also that all important experience for tourists on a rainy day or when the kids are having an 'I'm bored' moment.

It's important to build towards a community vision 20-30 years out.

Either GO needs to come one station closer, using the old ROW, or LRT needs to arrive at some point likely Bridge (GO Stn) to Victoria to Ferry/Lundy's Lane.

To justify that the development has to appear, and it has to foster a walking, cycling, transit culture. If everyone just drives to the big boxes towards the edge of town or over to the mall in St. Kitts, then this fails to contribute to a positive course of development for the area.

I am not that familiar with Niagara Falls but is this area even considered "downtown"? I always had the impression that there are no residents or locals anywhere near this area and that there is a true "downtown" someplace else, albeit in the form of a sad main street that tourists never see.
This area strikes me as nothing more than a tourist spot and resort area and not a place where anyone would want to reside (and it has no amenities for any 'residents'. Just overpriced versions of chain restaurants catering to people who are in town for a day.)

I suspect that if this gets built, the "condos" will be all investor bought (mostly foreign) and yes, airbnb'ed out every night. No one is going to "live' here.

signed,
Looking for some education

I am not that familiar with Niagara Falls but is this area even considered "downtown"? I always had the impression that there are no residents or locals anywhere near this area and that there is a true "downtown" someplace else, albeit in the form of a sad main street that tourists never see.
This area strikes me as nothing more than a tourist spot and resort area and not a place where anyone would want to reside (and it has no amenities for any 'residents'. Just overpriced versions of chain restaurants catering to people who are in town for a day.)

I suspect that if this gets built, the "condos" will be all investor bought (mostly foreign) and yes, airbnb'ed out every night. No one is going to "live' here.

signed,
Looking for some education

The 'historic' downtown is the other side of Clifton Hill, fairly close to the current GO Stn. But it's not intensified, nor is it the centre of town commerce any longer.

I'm not certain there's even a grocery store (there might be)

It's not a pleasant walk from the GO Stn area into the business district, nor from there to where this proposal is located.

If you want to see their existing 'local' downtown, google 'Queen Street', Niagara Falls Canada.

I'd post pics, but I'm having issues getting a decent image of the right size, at the moment

The activity zone is all closer to the falls, mostly centred on Clifton Hill and along Victoria Avenue.

Hence my point about the need to plan to connect these spaces in the medium to longer term and build towards something better.

Follow that with a flagship LCBO showcasing Niagara wine; some additional good quality restos, particularly offering the patio experience; and then something both tourists and locals could use
I have visited the LCBO at 5389 Ferry St (nearest LCBO to most of the tourist hotels and attractions) a number of times and have thought what a missed opportunity. This LCBO is modest compared to most newer locations, however it sits on a fair chunk of land. The missed opportunity as I see it, is that opportunity for a large flagship store showcasing Ontario wine and Craft Beer. For an LCBO in the middle of this world destination, it seems such a disappointing store.

Hmm?...ta;king liquor store in a border city?
, i would assume a lot of people just cross the border to shop at the many private liquor stores that have a lot more varieties at much cheaper prices

This building is gorgeous and love that Infinity pool. Reminds me of the Infinity pool at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.

Why can't we get a building like this in Toronto?

Im actually pretty excited for this. Im glad Niagara finally gets some taller buildings.

But, in all the promo pictures and videos, they seem to gloss over the fact that the actual views of Horseshoe falls (the Canadian one) will be mostly obscured by the building just to the east of this development :p

Im actually pretty excited for this. Im glad Niagara finally gets some taller buildings.

But, in all the promo pictures and videos, they seem to gloss over the fact that the actual views of Horseshoe falls (the Canadian one) will be mostly obscured by the building just to the east of this development :p

It's a computer generated rendering

Back