Toronto 66 Isabella | 73.15m | 23s | BDP Quadrangle

Yip.

So perhaps those who want a green space should petition the city to buy the property from the owner, otherwise they have the right to develope it.

The city has more than a penny to rub. The city has the right to stop property owners from cutting down mature trees even on private property.

I dont know about.. the city's first new rental building in 15 years:confused:

Residents protest apartment development

A group of Toronto residents came out in force on Saturday to protest the construction of an apartment building that stands to put them out of their homes for a year and take away some prized green space.

An application is expected to receive the green light from Toronto city council next week allowing the developer to take down one side of the building in the Church Street and Isabella Street area of downtown Toronto to build the new residential tower.

If approved, it would mark the construction of the city's first new rental building in 15 years.
More.....http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...een-space-120107/20120107/?hub=TorontoNewHome

How is that the first rental building in 15 years? Just off the top of my head I can think of Jazz and Motion. Not to mention all of the TCHC buildings, plus the huge number of investor-owned condo units that up for rent around the city

Yeah, there are a number of others as well. Crappy writing. Like someone at CTV turned to the person next to them and asked "Can you remember any rentals going up?", got a blank stare back, and typed it up.

Unfortunately that's the state of our media now and it's only going to get worse as they continue to face difficult times generating revenue streams. Forget TV media, it's a joke (save for perhaps The National which is among the best) plus I find mistakes regularly when reading the national papers and popular respected blogs (i.e. - BlogTO).

The city has more than a penny to rub. The city has the right to stop property owners from cutting down mature trees even on private property.

The structural condition of the two storey underground garage will take precedence over any tree.

The structural condition of the two storey underground garage will take precedence over any tree.

most likely that will have to be reinforced, or completely remade to ensure integrity, etc.

How is that the first rental building in 15 years? Just off the top of my head I can think of Jazz and Motion. Not to mention all of the TCHC buildings, plus the huge number of investor-owned condo units that up for rent around the city

jazz and motion are definitely rentals but i don't think TCHC units would qualify as that's something public funded vs. private.
and condo towers aren't purpose built and rented as a whole is what is usually meant as 'rental building'.

btw, there's also that condo at bay/wellesley by morguard (?) that's a rental too.

+ Queen & Ossington (opening this spring) and Gerrard & Bay (coming soon)

Well, 9 floors less is definitely an improvement, but I'm not a fan of losing the green space here.

Even though they are adding rental accomodation, this development makes me so sad. I used to live in those apartments and really enjoyed the green space and the beautiful old trees. Even though I don't live there anymore, I still enjoyed walking by it. We have such a shortage of green space in downtown, we should be preserving what we have.

Back