Toronto 66 Isabella | 73.15m | 23s | BDP Quadrangle

They just put up the signs for this project and it says the proposal is to construct a 32 storey 'addition' to the existing 26 storey building. It also states they will be adding 72 parking spots.

I think that this means a 32 storey building next to the existing 26 storey building, not 32 storeys on top of the existing building (even as nice as a 58 storey building here would be).

I'd like to say that this proposal absolutely breaks my heart. As someone who has lived in the immediate area for quite a few years now, it makes me sick to think that this one little plot of lush green space with its beautiful mature trees is potentially going to be destroyed for the sake of yet another condo build - one that I'm sure will lack any kind of architectural character and will inevitably look like every other glass tower monstrosity in the city.

This park provides a beautiful space for the many dogs and dog owners in the neighbourhood. It provides a place for people to relax and enjoy some shade during Pride. It's where people in the neighbourhood get to know one another and actually BE neighbours. It encourages people to get outside, and provides a break from the confines of a small square footage apartment. This park plays an integral role in the quality of life for the area's residents.

The parkettes that other people have commented on referencing the homeless, drunks and drug addicts are near the corner of Yonge & Isabella. One of them is particularly bad - the parkette that runs from Charles St. to Isabella St. The reason for this is because a homeless refuge church called Sanctuary is directly beside it. While I commend the efforts of this organization and what it's trying to do, it naturally attracts the homeless to the parkette. And, while my heart normally goes out to the homeless, these tend to be the type that are seemingly beyond help. I avoid walking through that parkette at night as there are normally groups drinking Lysterine from the bottle, being belligerent, quite often very much feeling the effects of whatever the day's drug was. I've been spit on and yelled at for no particular reason. I've seen men passed out on the ground with track marks up their entire arm, black eyes and bleeding noses from an earlier fight. No, this parkette which is also normally covered in litter, is absolutely NOT a substitute for the green space at 66 Isabella St. The people I really feel bad for in this case are the suckers who spent a fortune for a place in either one of the two newer condo towers on Charles St. overlooking this parkette, one of which neighbours Sanctuary.

If Toronto suffers from one thing these days, it's that we're developing beyond our means. We keep building and building with absolutely no infrastructure in place to support the builds. There is seemingly no thought put into the long term strain of what a population addition like this does to a neighbourhood. You're adding that much more foot traffic on the streets in the area and at the nearest subway stations (which are already strained). You're addiing that much more car traffic to the area and creating more gridlock for people trying to get in and out.

AND, am I supposed to get excited about a new RETAIL level on the ground floor?!?! Seriously?!?! Like we need any more retail in that area! What are we going to put in there? Another Tim Hortons? Another pizza joint? A dry cleaner? A Mom & Pop convenience store? A Dollarama? PLEASE!!! I can walk 2 minutes in any direction in that neighbourhood and find five of each of these things. Yet another junky retail area is NOT what this city needs.

Another point of interest is that many people who live in the apartment buildings on Isabella Street are long term tenants - anywhere from 10 - 30 years. What happens to the tenants who currently reside at 66 Isabella Street and have for 20 years? Do they get evicted? Or, do they get to stay while their life is made into an intolerable loud construction zone for a few years, only to have their rent jacked when construction is complete?

Between this potential development and the one to soon be going on at Church & Gloucester, the quality of life for the residents of this neighbourhood is soon to be non-existent - a common running theme in Toronto these days.

I enjoy our green spaces as much as the next person, well probably more so as I have a dog (the world's friendliest Labrador Retriever) and I love when she and I socialize with our dog owner friends and random people that we meet on sidewalks and in the parks around the neighbourhood that I've lived in for over 25 years. It's healthy and enjoyable for us going for long walks and getting to know, meet and chat with people face to face in this internet/crackberry obsessed society.
I'm not going to get into the Church & Gloucester development, that's for the proper thread however I have to say that I'm not against developing this corner. First of all, why would anyone get evicted from 66 Isabella? Next, there's only 7 or 8 trees around the south/east area here. Further, this green space is fenced off and clearly marked with numerous "private property/no trespassing/we will prosecute" signs along both Isabella and Church Street which discourages most (all?) dog owners from entering this area, this is exclusive space for residents and their dogs who live at 66 Isabella. I've never noticed people lounging on this lawn during Pride - not saying it doesn't happen, but it seems to me that with all those imposing signs posted everywhere they are certainly not meant to encourage people to hop the fence and trespass into this area. Even when they hold their lawn sales two or three times a year they are held outside the fence along the sidewalk on Isabella Street, not within the compound. As for the noise the residents in the area will experience if this is developed, I'd point out this is happening throughout the downtown area as we go through this unprecedented period of growth - mostly upward and this is the direction that much of the remaining properties will go as downtown Toronto continues to grow. It's an inconvenience to be sure but that's just the nature of growth and progress.
Finally, you are entirely exaggerating about the homeless folks who can sometimes be found in the parkettes east of Yonge Street. I've pointed this out before in other threads by those offended by having a few of these folks occasionally sit or sleep in the area and I'll do it one more time. I been walking these parkettes since they were converted from parking lots almost every day all year around anytime between late morning through well past midnight and have never once encountered a problem nor have I ever been threatened in any way and further I have never felt that my safety has ever been in jeopardy. There are a few regular homeless people who enjoy sitting in this public space, so big deal. I don't really care if they have track marks on their arms or are drinking from Listerine bottles and I won't apologize for that. If you've been threatened or spit on then phone the police and have them removed, that's assault. I've occasionally seen a few of them intoxicated on something but most of the time it's the same small group sitting around socializing. I don't like to see anyone with tracks or drinking mouthwash (though I've never seen it happen here) but by the very fact that they have a small social network within the Sanctuary and the public park area next to it I say good for them, as citizens of this city it's their space to enjoy too.

A community meeting will be held regarding this proposal tomorrow evening (Nov. 2nd), 7:00 pm at the 519 Community Centre (519 Church Street, just north of Wellesley on the east side of the street). This meeting has been arranged by the new Church-Wellesley Residents Association and will feature guest speaker Mr. William MacRae, City of Toronto Planner. Also up for discussion is the proposal to build another condo further south on Church Street and demolish several 19th century homes and apartment houses on Church between Dundonald and Gloucester Sts. It should be an interesting evening.

I'm going to do my very best to be there. If I can, I will take notes and report back on anything of substance.

Please refer to the "596 Church Street" thread for a summary of this evening's meeting.

Some artist's depictions of the project. These photos were taken from a low-res print-out posted in the lobby of 66 Isabella (the building to which this project will be attached).

isabella3.jpg
isabella1.jpg
isabella4.jpg
isabella2.jpg

Attachments

• isabella3.jpg
    isabella3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,052
  • isabella1.jpg
    isabella1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • isabella4.jpg
    isabella4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • isabella2.jpg
    isabella2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,046
Some artist's depictions of the project. These photos were taken from a low-res print-out posted in the lobby of 66 Isabella (the building to which this project will be attached).

The new building is actually attached to the east face of 66 Isabella or connected at the ground level? It's hard to tell by the renderings.

The building proposed is to be attached to the east side of 66 Isabella from the ground all the way up to the top.

So a number of units in 66 Isabella would be lost during this process - likely one per floor?

Wow, this is a very unusual proposal. That's all of the large one bedrooms (the 02 & 03 suites) on the east side of the building.

66_Isabella_footprint.gif

Last edited:
From Councillor Wong-Tam's email newsletter:

66 Isabella Street

Proposal: Rezoning Bylaw Amendment

Open House and Community Consultation

· Date - Wednesday February 2, 2011.

· Location - 519 Church Street (Community Centre),

· Time - 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Summary: The application proposes a 32-storey addition to the existing 26 storey residential building. Addition consists of a 4-storey podium and a 28-storey tower, 212 units, including 196 rental units, four townhouse condominium units on the first two floors facing Isabella Street and 12 condominium units on the top two floors, retail space at ground level facing onto Church Street.

Additional background Information: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-34017.pdf

Back