Toronto 66 Isabella | 73.15m | 23s | BDP Quadrangle

66isa6.jpg

These 1960/70 apartment buildings are hard to love, presenting bland brick faces and recessed pit-like balconies. I like this opening up with windows, although lets hope they work on the other side eventually...or it will be an architectural gmish.

These 1960/70 apartment buildings are hard to love, presenting bland brick faces and recessed pit-like balconies. I like this opening up with windows, although lets hope they work on the other side eventually...or it will be an architectural gmish.

I think its going to be architectural gmish no matter what. Perhaps not the most beautiful of buildings but as former tenant I can tell you the apartments while not luxury by any means used to be clean, well laid out and got quite a bit of light and balconies were actually usuable compared to the small tiny balconies I see alot of the new condos have. I just can't believe we sacrificed green space to put up this monstosity. The green space even if was reserved for the apartment dwellers did add to the block and I enjoyed walking past it even when I know longer lived there.

I don't hate it. Honestly, this is the beginning of much needed new development along this sad area of Church Street. It will be nice to have some retail at the podium to make this stretch more active.

Guarantee this type of rental tower development will reach Church/Wellesley in a good 10-15 years. It's just what happens when you are below Bloor Street downtown, and in proximity to one of Toronto's main streets. The city is densifying, and Church Street is prime location. It will be interesting to see how the community reacts/fights to this type of development.

Last edited:
There is retail, around 600 m2 at the Church & Isabella corner.
It seems to me that they've "squeezed" the building so that it doesn't look as high.

Back