Toronto 66 Isabella | 73.15m | 23s | BDP Quadrangle

Agreed, we don't need to develop every last inch! The neighbourhood has to breathe...I can't imagine myself living in a concrete/glass/steel world all day long, that's insane.

If you were sitting on a property worth $10,000,000 and not generating any income I suspect you wouldn't be so quick to judge. It's not this landowners responsibility to provide green space to the area.

I was talking to a someone who lives in this building--he says he and others will be evicted for the sake of this project.

I was talking to a someone who lives in this building--he says he and others will be evicted for the sake of this project.

I believe that one apartment per floor of the existing building will be lost making the connection to the new building. I wonder if anyone else will be evicted during the construction phase?

It's not this landowners responsibility to provide green space to the area.

The existing tower was built at a time when the tower-in-a-park planning was the rage. The neighbourhood has since come to see the resulting green space as part of the charm of the neighbourhood, and not everyone will agree that the original plan can be approved upon with this new density, even if that is the thrust of city-planning today.

So, there's a process. Residents will get to speak their mind. Local politicians and planners will weigh in. The City will say yeah or nay (or more likely 'please make the following changes, then okay'), and if the developer isn't happy with the outcome of the process they have the ability to appeal the decision to the OMB (which is not a rubber stamp anymore).

In the end, we will find out if it is Mohican Holdings' responsibility to provide at least a little green space.

The existing tower was built at a time when the tower-in-a-park planning was the rage. The neighbourhood has since come to see the resulting green space as part of the charm of the neighbourhood, and not everyone will agree that the original plan can be approved upon with this new density, even if that is the thrust of city-planning today.

So, there's a process. Residents will get to speak their mind. Local politicians and planners will weigh in. The City will say yeah or nay (or more likely 'please make the following changes, then okay'), and if the developer isn't happy with the outcome of the process they have the ability to appeal the decision to the OMB (which is not a rubber stamp anymore).

In the end, we will find out if it is Mohican Holdings' responsibility to provide at least a little green space.

Mohican can fence off the entire area and limit access to residents only or even pave it over with asphalt should it so choose. This is not public space. It is private property.

If Mohican wants to play the game right they will concede green space here or more likely parkland dedication elsewhere in order to get the deal done but I find that property property rights are often taken for granted when the public's opinion are considered.

Anyone who gets evicted from this project will likely receive a financial windfall greater than anything they would otherwise have ever been entitled to receive. The City will make sure of it.

Mohican can fence off the entire area and limit access to residents only or even pave it over with asphalt should it so choose. This is not public space. It is private property.

If Mohican wants to play the game right they will concede green space here or more likely parkland dedication elsewhere in order to get the deal done but I find that property rights are often taken for granted when the public's opinion are considered.

The area is fenced off, and maybe they could pave it all, but the point is that they cannot do whatever they want without going through a process. Merely owning land does not give one unfettered rights to do anything with it. Every piece of private land is encumbered by civic responsibilities to permit enough light to the surrounding properties, create no more wind than is determined to be acceptable, add no more density (i.e. people, traffic) than is proscribed, etc. All of those restrictions are worked out through the process which Mohican has entered.

I'm not saying that you are denying that. It is just that you seem to be emphasizing property rights over everything else, while underplaying the public responsibility that goes hand in hand with private right.

Anyone who gets evicted from this project will likely receive a financial windfall greater than anything they would otherwise have ever been entitled to receive. The City will make sure of it.

If I recall correctly he said that he would get something like three month's rent in compensation.

From Councillor Wong-Tam's email newsletter:

66 Isabella Street

Proposal: Rezoning Bylaw Amendment

Open House and Community Consultation

· Date - Wednesday February 2, 2011.

· Location - 519 Church Street (Community Centre),

· Time - 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Summary: The application proposes a 32-storey addition to the existing 26 storey residential building. Addition consists of a 4-storey podium and a 28-storey tower, 212 units, including 196 rental units, four townhouse condominium units on the first two floors facing Isabella Street and 12 condominium units on the top two floors, retail space at ground level facing onto Church Street.

Additional background Information: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-34017.pdf

Just a reminder of the meeting this week.

I don't oppose this odd project so I have nothing to say but I'll try to attend and report back.

I couldn't make it, I was also hoping to see if anyone else made it. I'm curious what kind of response this got.

Workers are doing something here, was this one approved ?

isabellachurch2.jpg

Back