Toronto 656 Danforth Avenue | 160.73m | 49s | Del Boca Vista | Studio JCI

I believe all of Lipton up to Eaton, including the house on Eaton (the detached one at the corner of the parking lot), have gone to Metrolinx.

Interesting; thanks!

Very very secretive. Have they even given a tentative start date for work at Pape, Cosburn?

I don't believe so, and I checked, no demo permits have been pulled yet. (or applied for)

While Mx can move w/o permits, it typically does not.

Why they're in a hurry to evict the businesses, if they're not ready for demo is unclear to me.

Article on the recent Community Meeting here.

Nothing substantive, largely Councillor Fletcher calling out the idea that the City could get a report done on this in 90 days silly.

Why they're in a hurry to evict the businesses, if they're not ready for demo is unclear to me.
I don't understand the logic here either. The north side of the block from Eaton, most of the way to Pape is now a barren, derelict stretch.

It would have been better to retain businesses along the stretch for as long as possible.

Secret atrium inside the existing building complete with a garden and a pond

IMG_1954.jpeg

I'm sure everyone know this but this used to be a movie theatre and then converted to a twin theatre in the early 80's. I recall going to the twin theatres and vaguely recall the original cinema.

I'm sure everyone know this but this used to be a movie theatre and then converted to a twin theatre in the early 80's. I recall going to the twin theatres and vaguely recall the original cinema.

Twas indeed the Palace Cinema.

I never got to go there, even though I became a movie buff quite young, it was demo'ed in 1987.

Exterior, not sure what year, but streetcars suggest no later than mid 60s. Credit as per the pic to John F. Bromley

1704843024360.png

Interior Shot:

1704843185601.png

Source: https://losttoronto2.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/danforth-and-papethe-palace-theatre/

Originally, 1,575 seats

I never got to go there, even though I became a movie buff quite young, it was demo'ed in 1987.

Exterior, not sure what year, but streetcars suggest no later than mid 60s. Credit as per the pic to John F. Bromley

View attachment 532267

Interior Shot:

View attachment 532268
Source: https://losttoronto2.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/danforth-and-papethe-palace-theatre/

Originally, 1,575 seats
Nine Hours to Rama was released in 1963. So likely that year or 1964. Great image.

View attachment 532267

Interior Shot:

View attachment 532268

Originally, 1,575 seats
Thank you very much for posting.! I live near the Danforth from 1982 until 2019 (37 years!) until I move to Leslieville. Unbel;ivable

Back