Toronto 6464 Yonge | ?m | 50s | Revenue Properties Company | Turner Fleischer

If they were smart they would try to figure out how to get Beecroft to connect to Hilda Avenue north of Steeles.. but alas.

This is the City's preferred road network. New Secondary Plan coming in the new year... (which we're now in)...and it does show Beecroft connecting to Larievere and going all the way to the site.
1641485412818.png

EDIT: Just to add that I was curious what's involved connecting Beecroft through that section and it looks not too bad. A few of the lots appear to have been left vacant so the only challenges are that you're probably destroying Inez Court and then you have to get through/across the Finch Station parking and around the transformer station. But in the scheme of things, could be a lot worse.
1641496875416.png

Last edited:
Excited to see this one take shape. I wasn't sure if they'd spare the mall (like the promenade) or not. Glad to see that they won't be.

I used to go there all the time as a kid. Bit weird to see it go, but it's the perfect spot for more density.

I can't believe how many tall buildings are going to pop up at the Yonge and Steeles corridor! I can see this intersection becoming like the Eglinton - Yonge corridor . A happening area in the next 20 years. One day making Steeles Ave and Taunton road a major transit throughfare from Milton to Oshawa. When Durham, York and Peel intensify north of Steeles.

I can't believe how many tall buildings are going to pop up at the Yonge and Steeles corridor! I can see this intersection becoming like the Eglinton - Yonge corridor . A happening area in the next 20 years. One day making Steeles Ave and Taunton road a major transit throughfare from Milton to Oshawa. When Durham, York and Peel intensify north of Steeles.

You basically have to picture what's already going on from the 401 to Finch continuing all the way up to Major Mac, but with peaks that surpass Yonge/Eg at Highway 7 and also with a decent node at Steeles. I think the concentration of transit further to the north (including the eventual transitway) will undermine Steeles becoming the kind of corridor you're talking about but it's definitely the next big centre for incoming density.

Here's a closer look.
The East Side of Yonge has yet to densify, and I'd imagine this density will continue north and replace those card dealerships across from World on Yonge:

51816428893_21545f52df_k.jpg

Local councillor John Filion said the repurposing of malls has been done for decades.

“Wherever you have big parcels of land, you have developers buying the land and redeveloping it,” he said.

Filion said the density being proposed is not too much and was to be expected given the new Steeles subway station slated for the area. The province has mandated greater density in transit zones to create more housing supply as the market faces a shortage that has helped prices skyrocket.

Filion expects this development to be done in phases and take over 20 years to complete.

However, Filion is concerned that what is currently being proposed will not be the final shape of things to come.

He expects provincial transit agency Metrolinx to expropriate a “big chunk” of the land for transit infrastructure, which will force the developer to up its density and the height of the buildings.

“[Metrolinx] will make it much worse,” he said. “They will stick a [bus bay] in the middle of the site to save money. So you’ll have this big ugly bus bay there.”

Up until now, the bus bay was shown to be underground, which Fillion said is better but a more expensive plan. He will be holding a community meeting within the next month to go over the plans.

City planner Guy Matthews, who is taking a lead on the project, told Post City that expropriating land from the site is within Metrolinx’s authority and it has done so in the past elsewhere. The city is currently waiting for feedback from the agency, Matthews said.

As for the loss of retail, Matthews said 29,000 square metres of retail is a part of the new proposal, which will provide opportunities to replace what is currently there.

City planning will create a preliminary report that will go before community council in April, he said.

Lots of the usual comments about - "early days" & "too soon to say", etc tonight... the one interesting thing was the disagreement / confusion on the Affordable-Housing side on if the City of Toronto's LARGE SITES policy would apply -- or Inclusionary Zoning when/if the PMTSA for this future station is signed-off by the Minister..?

Details TBD. When in doubt the LARGE SITES policy = "The conveyance of land to the City sufficient to accommodate 20% of the residential gross floor area" is always our preferred model.

1644980606021.png

Well it's a good thing Metrolinx/TTC are going to come along to plop a bus terminal on this site...without a tower over top of it.

As for the preliminary concept, this thing needs help: it just looks like the Golden Mile plan plopped over Yonge and Steeles. They should call up First Capital and consult with them on their Lake Shore/Park Lawn plans.

Planning on replacing the current Indoor Mall with half the amount of Outdoor Retail space (Pink in diagram) at podium (like at Tridel Hullmark Centre) - along Steeles Ave and along Yonge. All retail is to be accessed from outside - finish at one retail store, go outside and then go into another retail store,... like Cadillac Fairview's Shops At Don Mills but with major arterial roads and condo towers on top
CenterPointMall_8Retail.png

CenterPointMall_11.png

Back