Toronto 6464 Yonge | ?m | 50s | Revenue Properties Company | Turner Fleischer

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I know, you've all been feeling the post IZ letdown with too few big applications to keep your interest............so here you go!

New application into to the AIC on this 14+ hectare, 35+ acre site at the south-west corner of Yonge and Steeles.

Not the first time this one has been in for a mega-proposal; will be interesting to hear all the details on this iteration.

1639129865042.png

At a bit over 300,000ft2 non-residential GFA this one is likely retaining some meaningful retail; but unlikely to adding much office space (as was once contemplated)

If 50s is the average, for the residential towers, and they have fairly typical floor plates, we could be looking at more than a dozen towers.

I wonder what @sunnyraytoronto has heard..............

Site aerial pic:

1639130013548.png

Streetview from Yonge:

1639130051418.png

Looks like in the future, Toronto will only have 4 malls: Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale, and Scarborough Town Centre.

All other malls are pretty much on the chopping block in one form or another, and to be honest I dont know how I feel about it.

That's the way malls have been moving for years - super regional shopping centres with local service malls going bye-bye. COVID is just accelerating the process.

Retail is shifting to experiential and essential day-to-day shopping, with the overall required footprint shrinking starkly compared to historically due to online shopping.

I wouldn't be surprised if 20 years from now there are less than 15 malls in the entire GTA. Outside of the big super regionals, most will be gone.

That's the way malls have been moving for years - super regional shopping centres with local service malls going bye-bye. COVID is just accelerating the process.

Retail is shifting to experiential and essential day-to-day shopping, with the overall required footprint shrinking starkly compared to historically due to online shopping.

I wouldn't be surprised if 20 years from now there are less than 15 malls in the entire GTA. Outside of the big super regionals, most will be gone.
Also Canada had way too many malls to be sustainable long-term, especially as the retail landscape changes. IIRC we were second in the world per capita for amount of mall space behind the US (who were just in an entirely different league than everyone else).

Looks like in the future, Toronto will only have 4 malls: Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale, and Scarborough Town Centre.

All other malls are pretty much on the chopping block in one form or another, and to be honest I dont know how I feel about it.
Yeah the only malls that are gonna make it are "Destination Malls" (in that they are malls that have the kind of stores people will go out of their way to visit), and you can only have so many of those. Fairview is maybe the only other one I could see surviving since it has a number of the kind of stores those type of malls have (Lego Store, Apple Store, etc), plus the subway connection, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes eventually too.

I knew this was going to happen here but at this hieght. I think they'll go higher at Steeles and Yonge corner when all is said and done!

The average occupancy for new build condos is 1.7 people/unit IIRC.
That's all I was thinking mother, father, one kid or two on a two to three bedroom unit. And maybe a couple on a one bedroom. Then the 1.7 per unit will shave roughly a third off to about 15.300 from 27.000 thousand people . I guess we're not packing that many in to one unit in this housing shortage that we have lol !

15,000 people in one development is still mind boggling. It's like adding a Kenora or a Bracebridge.
Toronto grows by about 3 Bracebridges a year, with the GTA growing by about 8.. so It's not as shocking as it may seem, especially since it will be phased in over many years.

A regular reminder that the GTA adds the equivalent population of the City of Peterborough every. single. year.

15,000 people in one development is still mind boggling. It's like adding a Kenora or a Bracebridge.

The Bridge and High Tech TOCs are each adding about 35,000 people. And neither of those developments is the entirety of the Urban Growth Centre, so figure at least another 20,000 people to full build-out. That's 50,000+ on either side of Highway 7.

Now add in this development and all the other new developments to come along Yonge Street.

So, the YNSE is going to add something like 150,000 residents (probably more?) from Finch to Highway 7.

That's a lot of Bracebridges.

* Docs are up *

Architect is Turner Fleischer

Not much by way of renders of buildings.......... more of a massing model and context plan.

By my math, 18 hirise/skyscraper, 4 midrise, plus lowrise.

Peak height 50s
1641482905247.png

1641482926624.png

1641482973155.png

1641483044136.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1641483178845.png

1641483196494.png

1641483238781.png

1641483258010.png

1641483277457.png

oof, that needs work.

I thought the plan was always for Beecroft to eventually get extended up to Steeles through the site? I'm not liking that discontinuity with Future Beecroft terminating at the development's sort of internal ring road.

If they were smart they would try to figure out how to get Beecroft to connect to Hilda Avenue north of Steeles.. but alas.

The wall of towers north of the park also needs work. something needs to be done to break that up a little.

And docs are up and, pardon my French, but holy shit. Looks like 22 buildings and some towns, depending on how you're counting -- 670K sm, 8,325 resi units.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.47.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.50.32 AM.png

StudioTLA on the landscape:

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.51.10 AM.png

Back