Toronto 625 Church | 184m | 56s | Manulife Real Estate | RAW Design

20200726_084502.jpg

I think it's a shame that only the west side of the historical facade is being preserved. Based on the renderings, it looks like north and south sides are being replaced by a contemporary format of the vertical lines motif. I'd much rather have the current N, W, and S sides as is with the brick, and then the addition rising from the rear.

Aside from Union Station, Toronto City Hall, Queen's Park, and Old City Hall, is there honestly a historical building that wont be touched by any given developer? Our lack of preservation is really getting ridiculous.

Key revisions include:
• The additional retention of approximately 3 metres of the return (north and south) elevations of the existing Traders Building;
• The rebuild of the north and south elevations with new construction as a subdued "ghost" façade, which will interpret the exisiting scale, articulation and massing of the existing elevations with new materials and construction (as described in more detail in the revised Heritage Impact Assessment, dated July 27, 2020);
• The removal of balconies along the north façade and along the north 6.6 metres of the west and east facades on Floors 7 through 12;
• The replacement of projecting balconies on the balance of the Floors 7-12 facades with inset balconies;
• The introduction of a 126.6 square metre privately-owned publicly accessible space (POPS) along the south façade of the building, adjacent to the south lot line, which is to be coordinated with new boulevard improvements along Charles Street East and which would include the potential for patio seating in support of the proposed retail/restaurant uses;
• The provision of a 2.1 metre wide walkway along the east lot line. The walkway will be identifiable through the use of a slightly different paving pattern so that the entire laneway can function as a pedestrian connection but also provide a visual barrier between the pedestrian walkway and the vehicular driveway when vehicles access the site.
• Updating the of the loading area so that overhead doors can be closed while loading spaces are in use. All service functions (i.e. waste collection, loading/unloading, moving, etc.) are proposed to be fully contained within the building;
• A small increase in the overall gross floor area, residential gross floor area and office gross floor area, and a small reduction in the retail gross floor area, along with increases in both indoor and outdoor amenity space.

ggewq.JPG
awefwqa.JPG
brewa.JPG

Good improvements. I really wish they'd find a way to keep the north and south faces of the existing building, or at least make the new portions tie better into the old structure (use of brick, etc) but this is certainly better than the original proposal.

I wish they would use only one of the two patterns on the side - looks messy having two.

Event Information: 625 Church Street - Community Consultation Meeting

Date and time: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 6:30 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
Join us on September 23, 2020 for a Community Consultation Meeting to learn more about the planning application for 625 Church Street, ask questions, and share your comments. City Planning Division has received an application to amend the Zoning By-law to permit a 59-storey mixed use building containing 10,660 square metres of office and retail uses and 651 dwelling units.

Back