Toronto 6150 Yonge | 51.89m | 13s | Sorbara | BDP Quadrangle

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
6150 YONGE ST
Ward 18 - North York District

Site Plan application for the proposal of a mid rise mixed use building that comprises an entire block along Yonge Street between Pleasant Avenue and Goulding Avenue. The proposed building would have 521 residential units and 312 parking spaces within a two level underground parking garage. The proposal includes 1562.86 square metres of non residential gross floor area.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Site Plan Approval​
19 243760 NNY 18 SA​
Oct 31, 2019​
Under Review​
OPA & Rezoning​
19 243755 NNY 18 OZ​
Oct 31, 2019​
Under Review​

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 9.40.25 AM.png

What are the chances that this gets approved before there's a subway or at least a BRT here?

What are the chances that this gets approved before there's a subway or at least a BRT here?

BRT doesn't matter,... it's "subway, Subway, SUBWAY!"

I think what you're really asking is - if this will open/get-occupancy for new residents to move in before Subway opens.

That said,.... if City & Local Councillor have their way this proposal will never open (get occupancy) until Yonge Subway Extension to Richmond Hill opens (Note: Local Councillor recently added motion which got approval at Council to ensure Ontario Line opens before Yonge extension north)

Province is currently promising Ontario Line & Yonge Subway North Extension done in about 10 years - say 2029. This project will probably take about 4 years construction, 2 years negotiation with City - likely add 1 year for OMB/TLAB for a 7 year application to completion timeline. So technically this project could open 3-4 years before Yonge Subway north extension!

But this project is between Cummer/Drewry & Steeles,... north of northern boundaries of North York Centre Secondary Plan area,... City was successful in stalling Ghods' 5959 Yonge project - that's now being cancelled! ,... even though Ghods' continue to assemble more land!!! Those folks who brought into that project have basically loan their deposit money to Ghods interest free for 5 years,... while market doubled and now can't afford anything close!!! We might see that repeat itself here!!!

In this Yonge Corridor between Cummer/Drewry & Steeles,... City will implement Yonge Street North Secondary Plan - eventually,.... but right now this proposal doesn't have zoning for height & density or land use change,... so that's how City can stall this project. Personally, I don't expect Yonge Street North Secondary Plan to come into effect until about 5 years before Yonge Street North Extensions set to open (City sees solid proof of subway work!).

Within the current final draft of Yonge Street North Secondary Plan, this area is to be midrise - the number of units they're proposing seems excessive for site,... they're strategy seems to be over-propose before Yonge Street North Secondary Plan come into effect (likely won't allow as this much) and get into long negotiation with City,.... it's an in-between station site, so really non-prime but maybe want to be first in area to market,....

The wildcard is the Province/OMB/TLAB - if they approve this project over the City's objection/delays,... and it opens/get-occupancy before Yonge Subway extension north opens,....

Here's a built out model of the Yonge Street North Secondary Plan - Final Draft form that CityStaff working from?,..... with 6150 Yonge site coloured in Red - proposal is in area to be mid-rise - I recall CityStaff suggesting about 9-10-storey in this mid-rise zone,....

First image looking from Yonge & Finch towards Steeles (Xerox office buildings and other existing buildings (darker) at Yonge & Finch are 100m height)

Second image shows Yonge & Steeles looking south towards North York Center Secondary Plan area,....

NOTE: The block directly south of 6150 Yonge - block surrounded by Yonge St, Goulding Ave, Homewood Ave & Lariviere Road (first post has aerial map) is currently full of post-war bungalows and strip plaza but is to become parkland??? - on Yonge Street,... linking Goulding Community Centre (expansion soon???) with Centre Park on other side of Yonge Street; City Staff came up with it and some locals who would loose their homes are opposed.

I assume this place had ashes/interred bodies. Does that create any issues around property rights--are the remains the property of next of kin? How would this be handled when the home is sold off? From today:

20210708_185639.jpg

I've been inside the former RS Kane Funeral Home building before. I don't have 100% details about it, but from my understanding and of what I remember seeing, the building served mainly as a chapel, small gathering spaces along with administrative offices.

I assume this place had ashes/interred bodies. Does that create any issues around property rights--are the remains the property of next of kin? How would this be handled when the home is sold off? From today:

View attachment 333709
Funeral homes don't keep bodies or ashes after the services, those go off to cemeteries or elsewhere.

Back