Toronto Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | Arcadis

Was just reading the thread about this at SSC.......per this signage, the proposal is for -4- towers - 46, 50, 53, and 56 stories, plus a 5 storey midrise!......thx to MarkHerz at SSC for the tip....

5124927751_2fdb80bc71_b.jpg

plus this link......http://www.toronto.ca/planning/stjamestown-apps.htm

Last edited:
holy crap, this is beyond massive! however looking at that pdf, it seems the towers are extremely bland glass boxes... again!

Last edited:
holy crap, this is beyond massive! however looking at that pdf, it seems the towers are extremely bland glass boxes... again!

Three of them look to be glass trapezoids. Which will create a pretty imposing street wall along Bloor. It would be nice if the tower on Sherbourne had a completely different look. Something with a bit less glass, similar to the Uptown, could work. Hopefully they'll mix it up a bit, but I doubt it.

Aa Architects. Interesting proposal. This will certainly change the view along Bloor St. as you approach from the east.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/stjamestown-bloor-parl-plans-sept10.pdf

looks interesting with the undulating balconies for the 2 towers bound by Sherbourne and Glen.
2.7 m between floors probably means 8ft ceilings with mechanicals (ie. plumbing and electrical) in between.

i don't like the way the 2nd block of towers from Edgedale Road to Parliament seem to only face W-E with no N/S exposure views at all.
but since the buildings appear long and narrow (rectangular) similar to many 1960's block designs, that could mean bight, wide and shallow units.

but 5 towers from 46-56s seems overkill.

does anyone know if the St. Jamestown towers bound by Howard and Parliament are privately owned or part of TCHC?

Last edited:
I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I had an idea that the abandoned Victorian houses lining the west side of Glen Road should be fully restored into a little restaurant strip along the lines of wonderful Baldwin Village or Mirvish Village, made extra cozy by the fact that it's a dead end street. There would still be plenty of room for the 3 proposed towers, so I don't see a need for demolishing these lovely old houses. It's a great opportunity to bring something cool to a neighbourhood that doesn't have anything of the sort. Wouldn't that be neat?
I hope you're listening, Peter Clewes!
Damn, do I hope so too! It has the potential to be a crazy-urban little street with a subway station at the dead-end. Spots like this don't come more perfect to create something special. I'll be interesting to see if they bite the urbanity or if we get something utilitarian.

Well, those buildings will be retained and restored, according to the above report.

I too am curious about what their intended use will be.

What's this city's new obsession with these super residential towers? I'd rather see shorter buildings here...actually a mix would be nicer....A couple of 10 storey boutique condos, townhouses, and maybe a 15 storey building.

Oh very nice! aA knows best! Looks like they all have large vertical stripes of coloured glass.

Murano/Burano...what's next that's glass related?

Will the Rosedale matrons consider moving here or will they all be Rogers employees?

Coming up next: filling in the greenspace/deadspace of those highrise rentals with more buildings. Jolly good show.

does anyone know if the St. Jamestown towers bound by Howard and Parliament are privately owned or part of TCHC?

670 Parliament, 99 Howard and 135 Rose are managed by Medallion Corporation, though I've never been certain whether Medallion owns them or simply runs them for TCHC.

I*think* Medallion owns them.

I have a friend who lives at 670 Parliament and pays market rent for a two bedroom so I don't think it's run by TCHC. Though he pays a few hundred dollars a month less than what I pay, I suspect that is because of the area and lack of facilities. I don't know about the other two buildings.

Wow.

I wonder what the chances of this getting approved are. That's pretty intensive land use in an area that's already pretty dense. Interesting to see all of the development underway and planned for what's long been a neglected spot in the city.

I think the trapezoids have potential, but I would've liked to see them drawn so that the heights were in an ascending order, getting taller from east to west.

That's really going to change the feeling of driving into the city across the Bloor Viaduct, too. Right now I like how you come up to Parliament and there's lots of trees and greenspace, then you turn the bend to approach Sherbourne and the whole Bloor streetwall just sort of hits you.

Back