Toronto QueenChurch | 185.9m | 57s | Tridel | Kirkor

Over development according to report.
I hope that this doesn’t get cut. I’d rather it get trimmed. Some height here would be aesthetically appealing and would pull the core east a little. I really really don’t want this part of the city to all have the same height like the entertainment district.

Does the developer here have legacy OMB appeal rights? If not I would expect them to be dead in the water if the planners are against it. The LPAT is toothless.

LPAT isn't as weak as some people believe - it mainly just gives council more discretion. If the LPAT thinks it's good planning in the way it used to think, instead of approving it, it gets sent to council for "reconsideration". If council still denies it, then the LPAT can approve it.

Basically the old process works like this

- developer applies
- city denies application
- OMB holds hearing
- OMB decides it's good planning, approves it.

The new process works like this:

- developer applies
- city denies application
- LPAT holds hearing
- LPAT decides it's good planning, sends it back to council saying "this is good planning, you should approve it"
- Council can listen to the LPAT, ask for a few modifications and approve it, or deny it
- If they deny it, the developer can then appeal again to the LPAT
- The LPAT can decide if what the city was asking for was resonable, and can then approve it.

The process is more complicated now, and does give slightly more power to council, but overall still preserves the function of the LPAT pushing development generally beyond that of what the city wants.

2e1qas.JPG
32rqdwa.JPG
32rw3qewef.JPG
54ygerssd.JPG
1qwdasfd.JPG
u654ergsd.JPG

Encouraging that they resisted the temptation to only approve height that reflected neighbourhood buildings (that won't remain as is for much longer). It suggests they've finally accepted that the city is transforming into something quite different. It only took 15 years for them to realize, acknowledge, and accept this but it's progress nonetheless.

Back