Toronto QueenChurch | 185.9m | 57s | Tridel | Kirkor

Gawd! There was so much destruction in those days.

As a kid in the 80's I clearly remember driving around the city with my parents and seeing Teperman or Greenspoon demolition hoarding all over the place, especially in the older parts of the city. It was both fascinating and depressing to my eyes.

Unfortunate, but those days the city was emptying out with everyone moving to the suburbs so land/property values in the city must have dropped substantially around that time.

Unfortunate, but those days the city was emptying out with everyone moving to the suburbs so land/property values in the city must have dropped substantially around that time.

At the same time this was the era of supergrowth in the core. TD, CIBC, RBC, First Canadian Place and more were built all around the same time. My theory was all those towers sucked the life out of the shoulder areas (west of University, east of Church). And those towers created demand for parking. Hence the creation of all these parking lots.

Here is a nice shot of that church.

Source: https://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/

Cooke's Presbyterian Church (1891-1982), Queen St. E., north west corner Mutual St., Toronto, Ont.

pictures-r-3453.jpg

More Toronto history under the wrecker's hammer; Once the home of the largest Presbyterian congregation in Canada; Cooke's Presbyterian Church at Queen and Mutual Sts. is just a shell as the wrecking hammers reduce it to rubble.
tspa_0111031f.jpg

And before that church was built it replaced this one before it.

pictures-r-3520.jpg

pictures-r-3528.jpg

What a great event space that would have been had it not been short-sightedly destroyed.

I would like to think our attitudes have changed towards historical sites in the last 40 years from when this was torn down. I'm not sure I have confidence in that thinking though.

I would like to think our attitudes have changed towards historical sites in the last 40 years from when this was torn down.

Even on this forum there are still debates about Union train shed (something genuinely) and excitement for Commerce Court 3 despite the proposed demolition. The average person isn't paying enough attention to even notice.

Back