Toronto QueenChurch | 185.9m | 57s | Tridel | Kirkor

It's awful that buyers get charged for those ridiculously long, useless hallways.

Buyers??? Isn’t this still to be a rental apartment tower?

Is it?

“ED NOTE: When this story was first published, the building was described as a rental apartment tower. The documents submitted to the City of Toronto which stated that have since been replaced with newer ones stating that the building will be a condominium.”

Hmmmm,.... so they went from rental apartment tower to condo tower,..... ok, so I guess theses condo Buyers could use the long hallways to install bowling alleys!

Not an update, but an interesting view of what the strip looked like in the late 60s, offering a view of the corner building before the horrid yellow siding went up. Not much has changed surprisingly (aside from the loss of the block behind it), and it's still home to pawnbrokers, at least until construction starts.

EVKB4A5U4AA4hR-.jpg

They tore down that church to put up the recently closed parking lot (site of 88 Queen)? Unbelievable!

That church was much bigger than I thought previously. Why was it torn down again?? Let me guess - either fire, or, more likely for 60's Toronto, demolition by neglect.

I used to work at Eaton’s and I remember seeing the church spire from the ground floor of Eaton’s.( early 80’s)

That church was much bigger than I thought previously. Why was it torn down again?? Let me guess - either fire, or, more likely for 60's Toronto, demolition by neglect.
With no more congregation, and not much of a downtown development scene at the time, the property was sold to someone who wanted to operate a parking lot, and not pay to maintain an empty building.

With no more congregation, and not much of a downtown development scene at the time, the property was sold to someone who wanted to operate a parking lot, and not pay to maintain an empty building.

Very sad. These days at least the front half would have been used as a lobby/retail space for a condo tower!

Any idea what the brown building in the background on the very left is?

It was a not-insubstantial, mid-block, structure that was gone by the late 60s / early 70s. Not sure of the exact date of demolition.

1965:

1965.JPG

1978.JPG

Back