Toronto 591 Sherbourne | 152.65m | 51s | Medallion | Arcadis

601 Sherbourne, with the Eggsmart in it, is proposed to be saved according to the summary of the application.

That's a relief. I always loved the view walking towards Sherbourne on Howard... the side of 601 with the fire escape, the plus Peter Cooper condos, provide a very satisfyingly urban vista.

I expect the City will want to lop a little height off of this. They will want it shorter than both the Lanterra tower across Howard to the north and The Selby across Sherbourne to the west. Both of those are closer to Sherbourne subway station, so they'll be looking to transition down from those to the heights of 43-storey rentals that exist to the south. This could end up in the 54-storey range, as taking about 4 storeys off this would make it fit under that "clothesline".

The City will want other changes too, naturally.

591-601 Sherbourne St (3-7 Howard St, Medallion Properties, 58s, Page + Steele/IBI Group Architects Inc)
25088183291_6bcfeb5a0e_k.jpg

Last edited:
There is a public consultation on Wednesday February 24 at the community centre (sherbourne and wellesley) 7-9pm

Last edited:
There is a public consultation on Wednesday February 24 at the community centre (sherbourne and wellesley) 7-9pm

I probably should have updated this thread last month, but better late than never!

I was at the meeting in February and they did have renderings of the building. It's your typical P+S design, so nothing special. What IS special is the fact that this building will have no services on the ground floor, allowing the building to have animated frontage on all 3 sides (The North side will be against the wall of the historic building, which will end up looking as though it is part of the podium despite remaining completely seperate)

The podium actually looks really good, and the tower will be adding eyes to the revitalized St. Jamestown Park by having a large cafe opening up to it. There were some preliminary plans for the park which include a few public art components, one of which becomes a little stage for performances. The other feature is a firepit-like feature that produces a mist that kids can run through during the summer.

Update time: 1) these posts have been split off from the original 561 Sherbourne thread as 2) this phase has just appeared before the Design Review Panel, and we have a new dataBase file attached above as well as a front page story here.

Back