Pickering 591 Liverpool Road | 41.4m | 12s | PHC | Teeple Architects

yoshirocks702

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Pickering Harbour Company Ltd., is proposing a mixed-use development consisting of two buildings having heights of 23 storeys containing a total of 498 apartment units with approximately 1,900 square metres of grade related commercial uses. The proposal also includes a total of 539 parking spaces for residents, visitors and commercial uses, as well as 200 public parking spaces to serve the neighbourhood. In addition, the applicant is proposing a pedestrian promenade through the site and a public boardwalk along the waterfront edge.

pickering harbour.JPG

pickering-watefront-mockup.JPG

Concept Picture from: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pickering-waterfront-condo-proposal-1.5446201#

Oooh. Quite a bold design for Pickering. I like it.

With Pickering Nuke possibly being extended for another few decades they will still need to get an exemption to build this within the nuclear exclusion zone.

The neighborhood Facebook is extremely NIMBY against anything being built here, even if it’s townhomes…they also fought hard against the townhomes that are currently down there, but now love it 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I don't like this new design, I was hoping to see more retail fronting liverpool here. there's also quite a bit of setbacks

Agreed, more commercial is needed at the base; the whole area has so much potential...it's such a pedestrian oriented part of town. Hopefully Dwayne keeps the food truck business somewhere in the vicinity. Best fries around!

This is a very interesting one, and I hope the city works with feds/province to secure purchase of the Bay (which is also for sale with this property now) to put it under public ownership... The city has had to negotiate with the owner for years (most recently weeding to get rid of millfoil for example) which, as I understand has been less than ideal.

Some interesting backstory:
Frenchman's bay was purchased prior to confederation (1867), and has sat in private hands ever since. Yes, the physical bay and portion of shoreline is privately owned. Not completely comprehensive, but a few keys details here.

In addition, council/mayor have indicated interest to obtain the Petticoat Conservation Area from the TRCA... I'm not clear as to why or if TRCA has expressed interest in selling (there are issues with the outdoor pool) and now there is option to secure the Bay as well.

There also have been resident groups forming online to outbid the 'foreign investors'... None of which we know actually exist, but I'm not certain why they don't simply work with the city to do so... To me, it sounds like just another private endeavour which leaves the majority of residents out decision making on the property... Even if this involves hundreds of local investors pooling their funds as one post claims.

As this would be quite the large expenditure for the city, I imagine external support will be needed, or at the very least amortized over a very long period... There are already many complaints about the possible double digit property tax hikes coming and I'm unsure there would be any public appetite to increase those costs any more...

My proposal is just to lump it all under the Rouge park and get fed support since the petticoat lands and Frenchman's are all connected (there's a small piece between bay and conservation area that the city also is looking to restore for waterfront connection). But... Of course I'm not sure there is good enough reason to do so. Anyways, another letter to my local politicians is in order...

Back