Toronto Plaza on Yonge | 108.7m | 32s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
5840 YONGE ST
Ward 23 - North York District
Construct a 29 storey Mixed use building with 518 dwelling units 44,634.0 square metres of residential gross floor area and 374.0 square metres of mixed non residential uses; also, a car dealership with 3,577.8 square metres.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 16 109561 NNY 23 OZ Jan 27, 2016 Under Review

there are 3 underutilized commercial properties adjacent to each other in that location. are we only talking about development for one of the properties? or all 3?

this could potentially be a very large site.

A car dealership? I don't get up to those parts often, but that's an odd combination.
A quick google search says it's Mercedes Benz Thornhill. Thought that was on Steeles, west of Yonge. And you know...in Thornhill.

there are 3 underutilized commercial properties adjacent to each other in that location. are we only talking about development for one of the properties? or all 3?

this could potentially be a very large site.

The timing on this development proposal is interesting,... it comes a few months after North York Community Council instructed city staff to support a slightly reduced version of the NewtonBrooke Plaza redevelopment directly across Yonge Street. Originally city didn't want any development along this stretch of Yonge Street from Finch Hydro corridor to Steeles for about 30 years, until Yonge subway is extended. Now we're going to start seeing all these high density development in the North Yonge Study area way before city plan infrastructure for them!

UD2, this 5840 Yonge site should not be confused with 5868 (former Green+Ross) & 5870 (old Midas now former Centrium condo sales) site. Actually, the 5868 & 5870 structures are two former auto repair garages,.... on the same lot. The lot being about the same size as 5840 Yonge. To add to the confusion, 5840 and 5870 now both have AWIN leasing signage on them,... whether AWIN owns both site or are just leasing the land I don't know.

Anyways, the 5840 Yonge proposal is interesting in that it'll have 29 storeys with 518 units,... that's a rather fat condo building with almost 20 units per floor. Having a car dealership at the base lead me to suspect it's actually AWIN that owns the land,.... since AWIN group has numerous car dealerships throughout the country. That said, it would be interesting how they design a car dealership into the base of the condo tower. I suspect the service bays and customer parking area would be deep underground similar to how it was built at the new Thornhill Mercedes-Benz dealership on Steeles Ave West, both with 20 feet ceilings!!! Look like huge underground cement bunkers. Just look how high these ceilings are,.... they'll have to build something like this at this site,... add parking for 518 residential units,.... and you'll have a very deep underground hole!!!

IMG_0063[1].JPG

IMG_0064[1].JPG

IMG_0078[1].JPG

IMG_0070[1].JPG

IMG_0068[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0063[1].JPG
    IMG_0063[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,974
  • IMG_0064[1].JPG
    IMG_0064[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,291
  • IMG_0078[1].JPG
    IMG_0078[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,238
  • IMG_0070[1].JPG
    IMG_0070[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,054
  • IMG_0068[1].JPG
    IMG_0068[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3,158
A car dealership? I don't get up to those parts often, but that's an odd combination.
A quick google search says it's Mercedes Benz Thornhill. Thought that was on Steeles, west of Yonge. And you know...in Thornhill.

Milanista, this 5840 Yonge site has been the location of a number of car dealerships,.... I remember the Mazda dealership (later moved a few blocks north), then Volvo dealership, then Subaru,..... more recently this site WAS the temporary location of the Thornhill Mercedes-Benz dealership when they went through their 2 years renovation,... actually total rebuild from way below ground-up (mid-2013? to mid-2015).

The temporary Thornhill Mercedes-Benz dealership at this 5840 Yonge location was so small that it reminded me of the singular low volume Mercedes-Benz dealerships in Buffalo,... basic Mercedes-Benz corporate colours with service bays in back-side. Here in the GTA, there's about 6-7 large Mercedes-Benz dealerships, mostly corporate owned,... so that's another thing Toronto beats Buffalo at,... the number of Mercedes on the road! When I visited this temporary Thornhill Mercedes-Benz dealership to order some parts, they didn't even have a parts department; I spent about 30 minutes searching the place looking for a parts department that didn't exist! Then I ask the staff, how they could even service a car here if there's no parts department?!?!? Basically, this site was way too small for them! Now add in space for condo lobby, driveway, loading docks,... forget about it, the service bays and dealer parking will have to be off street level,.. likely underground.

BTW, everytime I go by the old white apartment building just north of this site,... I remember a freak accident that killed an 18 year old roofer almost 10 year ago,.... the roof was covered with ice on a cold windy winter day,.... and that kid literally got blown off the roof!
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2007/01/18/3400248-sun.html
http://news.ontario.ca/archive/en/2...sors-fined-a-total-of-297000-after-the-d.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.37.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.37.44 PM.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 2,751
An extension of the subway is not the only limiting factor to size here, as anywhere, so I'm not sure how much higher it could get, but…

There has to be an understanding that even with a subway extension, the Yonge line can only support so many riders. A Metrolinx study has shown that the only way to make room for the new riders that would be attracted to an extension would be to build the Relief Line to Sheppard, but that just accounts for those York Region riders IIRC.

In the meantime, there continue to be more applications up and down Yonge that will add more riders to the line. An application just south of St. Clair was recently turned down at 42 storeys, (I have no idea where that one will go next), so no, having the subway at the door here would not automatically translate to a much larger (taller) building getting approval.

Most likely it would

NO!

This site fall within the Yonge Street North Planning Study Area which is based on the North York Secondary Plan; where there WAS a 100m height limit but now after GibsonSquare developer can build higher but pay more (ie: Section 37 Community Benefits). The Yonge Street North Planning Study is looking at allowing 40 storey towers at corner of major arteries like Yonge & Steeles,.... is Drewry-Cummer consider a major arterial road??? Hard to imagine roads like Drewry-Cummer with only one lane eastbound and one lane westbound considered as major arterial roads.

That said, this site is not a corner site anyways,.... density and transition also come into play,... to which this development application would likely get chopped due to those issues..

The Yonge Street North Planning Study worked under the plan that the Yonge Subway would be extended northward in about 30 years. But development is starting now, and developers here are already presenting development applications as if there already is a northern extension of the Yonge subway line AND that a subway station will be built at Yonge & Cummer/Drewry!!! Of which there is absolutely no guaranttee! There's no funding, there's no plan, there's no proposal, no commitment,... there's nothing! Of course that won't stop developers from promising direct subway connections! If they do build a subway station at Cummer/Drewry,.... A potential Cummer/Drewry station and Finch Station will likely end up being the closest 2 subway stations outside of the downtown core.

Thus, new residents and transit users of Yonge & Cummer/Drewry should expect a long walk to Finch subway station for at least 30 years or even forever,....

Renderings from January:
upload_2016-12-13_11-54-40.png

upload_2016-12-13_11-55-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-13_11-54-40.png
    upload_2016-12-13_11-54-40.png
    623.5 KB · Views: 2,248
  • upload_2016-12-13_11-55-52.png
    upload_2016-12-13_11-55-52.png
    567.4 KB · Views: 2,087

Back