Toronto 572 Church Street | 44.5m | 12s | Fieldgate | Arcadis

A 16-storey replacement of a surface parking lot and a crappy single-storey beer store a 5-minute walk from a stop on one of two subway lines in Canada's largest city = "overdevelopment".

While I agree with the view that it's not over-development for the downtown, the report does mention its impact on the park at the 519 which would lose a lot of sunlight. I have zero concern for residential areas losing sunlight, but we should continue to protect our public parks.

Also, the report calls for angular plane scale, and I agree that with this being close to the low-rise section of the Village, it should reflect that. The development at the corner of Wellesley and Church was also opposed by Planning for the same reasons. They're enforcing the policies that protect the main street character of the area. I am all for tall buildings, but I do understand and believe that a poorly designed heavy-tall building can negatively impact a fine grain neighbourhood main street.

Not every site needs to be a high-rise.

From KWT's newsletter:

572 Church Street and 100 Wellesley Street East Public Consultations

A joint meeting for both development applications will be held to solicit community feedback.

The application for 572 Church Street seeks to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to permit a 16-storey (55 metres, including mechanical penthouse) mixed use building, the building is stepped back at the 5th floor to create a 4-storey street wall. A total of 98 dwelling units above 285 square metres of retail at grade, result in a total gross floor area of 7,489 square metres. More information can be found in the Preliminary Planning Report here.

The application for 100 Wellesley Street East proposes to construct a 10-storey (36 metres, including mechanical penthouse) infill building along Jarvis Street in a 'U' shape extending along Wellesley Street East to the south and Cawthra Square to the north. Along Wellesley Street East, the building steps down to a 7-storey building to the west and along Cawthra Square the addition steps down to a 6-storey addition to the west. The existing 28-storey rental apartment building containing 427 rental units on the site will be retained. The proposed infill building would be integrated and connected into the existing rental apartment building on site. The proposed infill would require the demolition of 3 existing rental units and reconfiguration of another 23 units. It is also proposed to develop 8 3-storey townhouses along Cawthra Square, immediately east of Barbara Hall Park. In total, 128 new rental residential units are proposed. The proposal, as submitted, it not supportable by staff and additional information can be found in the Preliminary Report here.

What: Community Consultation on 572 Church Street and 100 Wellesley Street East
When: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 from 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
Where: Holiday Inn, 30 Carlton Street, Wellesley Room

City is heading to LPAT in support of a revised 12-storey proposal:

43t4effswer.jpg

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.CC44.39

More drawings:

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-119045.pdf

Attachments

• 43t4effswer.jpg
    43t4effswer.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 2,026
This silly developer could have saved so much time, money and aggravation by bringing forward an SASP 382-compliant proposal in the first place. Nice to see area-specific planning policies respected and enforced.

This is fine, I like the scale and the setbacks. It'll be a boutique type building, somewhat similar as the Alexus at Alexander & Church.

Back