Toronto 561 Sherbourne | 128.01m | 43s | Medallion | Arcadis

Apparently not.. I live across the street from No Frills on Isabella St and about a week before No Frills shut its doors, I went to do groceries and was told by a No Frills employee that there were NO plans of relocation & that it was closing down for good. The space vacated by Goodwill Store in Greenwin Square is being rumored by 77 Huntley residents as being made available for Sobey's to move in (makes sense since the space was too small for a No Frills).

Sobey's moving in corresponds with better income families moving in to the area, particularly the new Linden St highrise (28 Linden St), the James Cooper Mansion, with the restored Victorian heritage home at the bottom. Not to forget, that Clarion Hotel is also slated to be kept as a restored Victorian with a 50+ story highrise being constructed there.

This is not what I was told by my source at Greenwin, but I guess we'll see... it all remains speculation until it actually happens.

The square footage at the Good Will is actually larger than the No Frills at Sherbourne. Also lets not forget that St James Town is directly across the street from this location. That's potentially 15 000+ low to mid income residences looking for another place to get groceries.

This is not what I was told by my source at Greenwin, but I guess we'll see... it all remains speculation until it actually happens.

The square footage at the Good Will is actually larger than the No Frills at Sherbourne. Also lets not forget that St James Town is directly across the street from this location. That's potentially 15 000+ low to mid income residences looking for another place to get groceries.

Here's a detailed piece on this development,

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/10/0...sherbourne-str-complex-goes-to-teycc-tuesday/

And if you scroll to the very bottom of the page with readers' responses, you will find that other folks confirmed that No Frills has been closed for good. Future case in point being, either Sobey's itself or its cheaper brand 'FreshCo' will open up once the podium is redone along with the new rental building being built. Now the mystery is the space left by the Goodwill Store, I tried to find out again and as yet, no one has a clue what is going on over there.

Wait and see is the name of the game on this one I agree..

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4X 1K7

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 155002 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Nov 4, 2013

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a new 43 storey mixed-use building with 369 residential units and ground floor commercial. Also maintain existing residential buildings at 545, 555 and 565 Sherbourne St.

rentals??

Edit: never mind, I thought this was the development at bloor and sherbourne. I know this one is a rental.

Last edited:
A repost, of a few pages back, of the images and renderings put up by Edward Skira. I'm looking forward to this development, though I do think the skybridge element has been nixed.

545-565SherbourneRend1.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend2.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend8.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend3.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend10.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend4.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend9.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend5.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend6.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend7.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend11.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend12.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend13.jpg

545-565SherbourneRend14.jpg

Soooo.........is this really the beginning? Are the townhomes and all the rest going ahead (especially the podium being demolished) - or will it just be the tower being built? Anyone know? I do hope it's entire and not partial.

Last edited:
I hope so too, this project will play a huge role in cleaning up a large part of the mess here, make the immediate area safer and make good use of wasted space.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4X 1K7

Application#: 13 155002 STR 00 PP Accepted Date: Nov 12, 2013

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Structural Framing

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a new 43 storey mixed-use building with 369 residential units and ground floor commercial. Also maintain existing residential buildings at 545, 555 and 565 Sherbourne St.

At the rate they were working today this thing will be down by New Year's Eve and will make a massive difference to the feel of the street.

brutal.jpg

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4X 1K7

Application#: 13 204205 DEM 01 DM Accepted Date: Jan 13, 2014

Project: Retail Store Demolition

Description: REVISION- Proposal to demolish the podium in the existing building.

Demolition on the concrete span between 545-555 Sherbourne St over Earl St. started on Monday.
IMG_4408.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpg
    IMG_4408.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,255
A new view opens up from Bleeker Street looking west. Now that the visual continuity of the street has been restored, will the entire right- of-way be renamed Earl Street through to Parliament? Photo taken this morning.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,173
Last edited:

Back