Toronto 561 Sherbourne | 128.01m | 43s | Medallion | Arcadis

The Manulife Centre has a similar garden/deck arrangement on its third level, only it is much better maintained than what is shown here. Structures like this seem to have been charateristic of buildings constructed during that era, as I'm almost certain the apartment buildings I grew up in along Fountainhead and Four Winds Drive up in Downsview have/had similar arrangements, as well as others such as the Forest Hills Towers in North York. Some of the towers on Jackes and others in the Yonge and St. Clair area have also maintained this vibe. Robarts also had a deck on its second floor, although that was closed long ago to everyone except maintenance staff going for smokes, and Scott Library, I am told, also had similar terraces and decks.

I get the sense these decks comprised part of the whole "experience" of buildings such as these, alongside tennis courts, pools, tuck shops, lounges, and other amenities designed to evoke that "swingin" singles urban lifestyle that these buildings meant to satisfy when they were newly constructed, kind of the Toronto version of this:

2661876841_7c24cd60ff_o.gif

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2661876841_7c24cd60ff_o.gif

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f545a235970b-400wi

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f545a235970b-400wi

Last edited:
I remember when the Manulife also had a good sized open courtyard off Bay Street before the cinema complex was expanded & the Chapters-Indigo space was built. The Manulife's green space isn't publicly accessible like that mess shown on the previous page. Plus, it's the Manulife apartments, one of the best run (and most expensive) rental residences downtown.

86 Gloucester, built in 1978, has a nice little outdoor garden and pool on the second floor at the back.

Not rooftop, but 50 and 70 Cambridge Avenue, built in the swinging sixties, has an outdoor pool that overlooks the DVP.

card00662_fr.jpg

I love 60s pool aesthetic like this from Happy Valley outside of Calgary (sadly gone now). It would be nice if some of the great 60s era buildings in Toronto maintained themselves and embraced the era they came from.

Attachments

• card00662_fr.jpg
    card00662_fr.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,521
No Frills will re-open in a new space when complete, no?

No Frills is closing shop on July 20th 2013. That leaves only Food Basic (food horrible) and the other No Frills on Parliament.

Does anyone know whats going on with this project?

I was told a Freshco will open in the new building. Meanwhile a shuttlebus will ferry people from the No Frills site to the Freshco in Regent Park. Haven't been able to confirm this as yet.

Does anyone know if Freshco is a full service food store or a Rabba-type arrangement?

No Frills is closing shop on July 20th 2013. That leaves only Food Basic (food horrible) and the other No Frills on Parliament.

Does anyone know whats going on with this project?

There is an excellent No Frills on Front@Princess, behind the Toronto Sun building. It is huge, clean, well stocked, well lit, very wide aisles and customers seem to understand the theory of queuing up.

My friend (with a car) discovered that location early last winter, so we go there together every couple of weeks now. They have free surface and plenty of free underground parking too. It's a large, clean, well stocked No Frills.

Apparently No Frills is moving into the current Good Will space at Greenwin Square. The Good Will store is currently in the process of closing... maybe 2 weeks left.

Apparently No Frills is moving into the current Good Will space at Greenwin Square. The Good Will store is currently in the process of closing... maybe 2 weeks left.

Apparently not.. I live across the street from No Frills on Isabella St and about a week before No Frills shut its doors, I went to do groceries and was told by a No Frills employee that there were NO plans of relocation & that it was closing down for good. The space vacated by Goodwill Store in Greenwin Square is being rumored by 77 Huntley residents as being made available for Sobey's to move in (makes sense since the space was too small for a No Frills).

Sobey's moving in corresponds with better income families moving in to the area, particularly the new Linden St highrise (28 Linden St), the James Cooper Mansion, with the restored Victorian heritage home at the bottom. Not to forget, that Clarion Hotel is also slated to be kept as a restored Victorian with a 50+ story highrise being constructed there.

Last edited:

Back